Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063615.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 18:08:54.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Lindsey (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TF 53416 72216



2/30 Church of St. Mary 3.2.67


Parish church. C12, early C13, late C15, 1607, C19. Chancel rebuilt 1870. Restorations 1853, 1910. Limestone and chalk ashlar. Limestone and greenstone coursed and squared rubble, red brick with ashlar dressings, slate and lead roofs. Western tower, clerestoried nave, aisles, chancel, south porch. 3 stage C12 tower has tall lower stage, roll and concave moulded string courses, battlemented parapet, clasping buttresses to lower stage only. The tower is basically of limestone with some greenstone banding, with chalk and red brick patching. The C15 added belfry stage has triple louvred panel traceried lights in each direction. Below is a blocked early C13 opening with engaged angle shafts. On the west side a pair of early C13 tall lancets with short central buttress between. To middle stage another blocked opening with double pointed head. The east side has a pair of pointed lights. The north aisle is in a mixture of brick and greenstone with lead roof and plain parapet. The west buttress has a reused tombstone with stepped cross. The 2 light windows are C19 Y traceried, one at each end and 4 on the north side, subdivided by stepped buttresses. The C19 north door is pointed and double chamfered. The C19 limestone ashlar chancel with slate roof is in C14 reticulated style and has a 2 light window to north, a 3 light window to the east, and a pair of 2 light windows to the south. On the south east quoin is a reused C14 armorial stone, and on the south side a pointed doorway. The south aisle and porch are both C15 originally in greenstone and ashlar, with bell moulded plinth, partly rebuilt in 1607 in brick and ashlar. The aisle now contains 5 two light rectangular windows with moulded surrounds and hoods, one in the east end. On the parapet a date inscribed "1607 TCTS". The west window of the south aisle is C19 of 2 lights. The southern clerestorey has 3 paired cusped C14 lights, recut. C15 gabled ashlar porch with stepped angle buttresses and double chamfered arch with filleted shafted reveals. Above is an ogee niche and a Latin inscription recording the construction of the porch by the brothers and sisters of the Guild of St. Mary. Fine wave moulded oqee headed inner door. Early C13 5 bay nave arcades with circular piers, annular capitals, 2 with stiff leaf foliage, and double chamfered arches with human head stops, one a female with nose band. Early C13 tower arch with filleted shafted responds, octagonal capitals, triple chamfered arch. Cl9 chamfered chancel arch with hobnailed imposts. C19 roofs. Panelled octagonal pulpit dated 1730, C15 octagonal font with shields and cusped panels to bowl and stem. All other fittings are C19.

Listing NGR: TF5341672214


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Nov 2001
Reference: IOE01/05890/22
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].