CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1063620

Date first listed: 03-Feb-1967

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, COOKS LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063620 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Nov-2018 at 07:27:11.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, COOKS LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey (District Authority)

Parish: Ashby with Scremby

National Grid Reference: TF 44318 67726

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 46 NW SCREMBY COOKS LANE (west side)

4/43 Church of St.Peter and St. Paul 3.2.67

G.V. II*

Parish church. 1733. Red brick in Flemish bond, greenstone ashlar dressings, copper roofs. Western tower, nave, facetted chancel. 3 stage tower with plinth, 3 stone bands to offset upper stages and parapet with corner pilasters ramped down to centres. 12 panel west door set in Gibbsian surround with pulvinated frieze and pediment. Above a semi-circular leaded light in rusticated ashlar surround with impost and keystone. To the belfry stage on each face a similar louvred opening. Sides of tower both have a sinqle keyed leaded oculus. The side walls of the nave have ashlar quoins, brick plinth, ashlar band, wooden covered eaves cornice and 2 semi-circular headed leaded lights. At the west end a keyed oculus interrupts the high level stone band. In the east end of the facetted chancel a Venetian window in flat ashlar surround with bracketed stone cill. On the south side a small blank organ extension. Interior. Pair of double 6 panelled doors with semi-circular head. Western gallery with panelled face and C19 rail. The nave and chancel are undifferentiated and a continuous deeply moulded cornice unites the 2 spaces. The facetted walls of the chancel each have 2 moulded plaster panels. The rear arches of the nave windows have moulded architraves. Stained glass east window by O'Connor, 1861. Fittings. Dado panelling throughout, raised and fielded, dentillated in the chancel. Complete set of panelled pews, with matching pulpit having fluted Doric pilasters and moulded cornice. Chair made from 2 C15 poppy head bench ends. Plain C15 octagonal font on moulded base. Pipe organ in polished mahogany case. Late C18 Snetzler type. Monuments. By the pulpit a pair of rectanqular wall plaques with panelled pilasters and moulded cornices, to Dycocks of 1724 and later. On the south side of the nave a marble wall plaque with segmental top, acanthus side scrolls, to Martha Moody, d.1742, skull and palms to base. On the north side an obelisk monument to Charles Brackenbury d.1816 by Walsh and Dunbar of Leeds, with fluted sarcophagus and white marble tablet.

Listing NGR: TF4431867726

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 196044

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing