This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1063629



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: East Lindsey

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Willoughby with Sloothby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 03-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 196063

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



1/62 Church of St. Helen 3.2.67 I

Parish church. Early C14, late C14-early C15, 1846, 1880 by James Fowler of Louth. Squared coursed greenstone rubble, limestone ashlar rubble, red brick patching, slate and lead roofs. Western tower, clerestoried nave, aisles, chancel, south porch. 3 stage tower with bell moulded plinth, 2 moulded chamfered string courses, prapet with octagonal angle finials. Stepped set back buttresses, partly in brick, with "toothache" carving on south west angle. C15 tall 2 light transomed belfry lights with panel tracery, moulded surrounds and shafted reveals. On the south side a single lancet. C14 3 light west window with flowing tracery mouchettes. Above a niche with nodding ogee head containing a figure of a bishop. Above again an ogee headed light and lozenge clock face. The north aisle has lead roof and chamfered eaves cornice. The west window is C15, 3 light and panel traceried, to the north are 5 C14 3 light cusped ogee headed windows in rectangular surrounds and a moulded pointed doorway. C14 clerestorey with 5 paired lights cusped to both sides. Blocked semi-circular headed window to east end. Cl9 3 light chancel east window with panel tracery and moulded surround. South wall has 2 late C14 3 light windows with pointed heads, moulded surrounds having cusped flowing tracery with rectilinear centre panels. The south aisle has single 3 light C15 east and west windows and in the south wall 4 three light windows matching those to the north. Gabled C15 porch with moulddd outer arch and clustered filleted shafted reveals. Continuously hollow moulded pointed inner doorway. Interior. 5 bay C14 nave arcades, octagonal piers and capitals, double chamfered arches. C14 tower arch, double chamfered, dying into the reveals. Chancel arch matches the arcade. Into the north chapel is an early C14 double chamfered arch in the north wall of the chancel with sunk wave shafted reveals. Immediately behind is a probably repositioned C14 double chamfered arch with octagonal responds and capitals. C20 stained glass in chancel commemorating association between Willoughby in America and in the south aisle a window recording the baptism of John Smith, the founder of Virginia in 1580. Fittings. C19 including panelled ashlar pulpit. Decorated deal benches. C15 octagonal font with bell moulded base, plain stem, shields to the sides of the bowl and an angel. In the tower a probably late medieval ladder gives access to the bell chamber.

Listing NGR: TF4734471963

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 47344 71962


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063629 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Aug-2018 at 08:18:06.

End of official listing