CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1063638
Date first listed:
03-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, SKEGNESS ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063638 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 08:33:16.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, SKEGNESS ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Sausthorpe
National Grid Reference:
TF 38228 69097

Details

SAUSTHORPE SKEGNESS ROAD TF 36 NE (south side)

7/55 Church of St. Andrew 3.2.67

G.V. II

Parish church. 1842 by Charles Kirk. Stock brick, ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. Coped east chancel gable with kneelers and single ridge cross to the east end. Nave with embattled parapet and single ridge cross to the east end. Single stacks to the north chancel and south nave. Buttressed and on a moulded plinth apart from the vestry which is on a chamfered plinth. Tower, nave, north vestry/organ chamber and chancel. Tower of 2 stages with bands, the angle buttresses with gabled crocketed hood moulds. Rising over are small diagonal buttresses each with 2 small gargoyles and topped with large crocketed finials. Embattled parapet, each side with 2 large gargoyles and quatrefoil frieze under. From each finial extends a crocketed flying buttress supporting the crocketed spire with 3 tiers of 4 lucarnes, the lower with 2 lights. West side with moulded arched doorway, blind traceried double door, spandrels decorated with single quatrefoils, hood mould and label stops. Over is a single arched 3 light window with single transom and cusped panel tracery. The north and south side each with single rectangular lights, the south side with attached stair turret of 2 stages with bands, parapet and 3 rectangular lights. 4 arched 2 light bell chamber openings with cusped tracery, hood mould and label stops. The north nave has 4 arched 2 light windows with cusped tracery, hood moulds and label stops. Projecting from the north chancel is the vestry/organ chamber with Caernarvon arched doorway in the west wall, single 3 light ashlar mullion window in the north wall and single 2 light window in the east wall with 2 arched and cusped lights under a flat arch. The east end has a single arched 3 light traceried window with single transom with cusped traceried lights, those below the transom being blind. The south chancel has a single arched 2 light window with cusped tracery, hood mould and label stops, to the left is a single arched and cusped light with hood mould and label stops. The south nave corresponds to the north nave. Interior. Quadruple chamfered tower arch with doorway with blind and glazed traceried panels. Projecting is a gallery decorated with blind tracery and supported on 2 tapering octagonal columns with open traceried brackets. Double chamfered tower arch, the inner order supported on octagonal responds. Open traceried screen. To the left is a small pointed chamfered archway. Chamfered chancel/organ chamber arch. Chancel with decorative coloured and gilt roof. Decorative coloured and gilt reredos with blind tracery. C19 furniture including elaborately carved chair. 2 late C18 floor slabs each with single carved shield of arms. Further C18 floor slab. Some decorative C19 tiles to the chancel/nave floor. South chancel windows with Morris & Co. stained glass, 1907 and 1908.

Listing NGR: TF3822869097

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
195981
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 28 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/05890/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].