CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1063641
Date first listed:
03-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, MAIN STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063641.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 23:54:06.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Skendleby
National Grid Reference:
TF 43267 69790

Details

SKENDLEBY MAIN STREET TF 46 NW (west side)

8/60 Church of St.Peter and St.Paul 3.2.67 II

Parish church. C13, C14, restored 1875 by Sir G. G. Scott. Ashlar with dressed greenstone to the chancel, some stock brick. Slate roofs. Coped gables with single ridge crosses to the east chancel and the porch. Set on a chamfered plinth and buttressed. Tower, nave, south porch, north vestry and chancel. Tower of 2 stages with angle buttresses to the lower stage, the stage above, all except the east side, is slightly recessed apart from the angles, giving the impression of slim clasping buttresses, these terminate at the bell chamber stage. Embattled parapet decorated each side with single shield. West wall with arched C19 2 light window with cusped flowing tracery. Above is a single rectangular light. 4 bell chamber openings each with 2 arched and cusped lights and single transom under a flat arch, over that on the east side is a single clock face. The west wall of the north nave has a single arched C14 restored 3 light window with cusped flowing tracery, hood mould and label stops. The north wall has 2 restored 3 light arched C14 windows with reticulated tracery. The gable apex of the east nave has 2 trefoil arched and cusped openings. Projecting from the north chancel is the vestry with single restored C14 2 light window in the east wall with cusped tracery, hood mould and label stops under a flat arch. The east chancel has a single 4 light arched and restored C14 window with cusped flowing tracery, hood mould and label stops, over is a single lozenge containing a roundel. The south chancel has a single C14 3 light arched window with reticulated tracery, hood mould and label stops. To the left is a chamfered arched doorway with hood mould and on the far left a single 2 light C14 window with cusped tracery under a flat arch. The south nave has 2 restored C14 arched 3 light windows with reticulated tracery. To the left is the stock brick gabled porch with ashlar dressings and moulded arched entrance, hood mould and label stops. Inner moulded arched doorway. Interior. Off- centre double chamfered tower arch with moulded jambs. Double chamfered chancel arch with low C19 screen under with blind tracery. Double chamfered chancel/vestry arch. South chancel, east window, with low sill forming a sedilia, to the left is a C14 ogee arched and cusped piscina. Pointed segmental arched C14 aumbry with hood mould and human head label stops. South nave with ogee arched piscina. C15 ashlar font, the pedestal decorated with blind perpendicular tracery, the octagonal bowl with 8 carved heads separated by small buttresses and topped with a frieze of fleuron and carved heads. Memorial to Maria Brackenbury, 1834. The inscription tablet in the form of a sarcophagus surmounted by a draped urn. That to Richard Pilkington, 1772, is topped with a pediment.

Listing NGR: TF4326769790

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
195986
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/05890/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].