CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1063688
Date first listed:
09-Mar-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, MAIN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063688 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 01:29:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, MAIN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Donington on Bain
National Grid Reference:
TF 23564 82974

Details

DONINGTON ON BAIN MAIN ROAD TF 28 SW (north side)

2/11 Church of 9.3.67 St. Andrew

II*

Parish church. Late C12, C14, c.1779, restored 1868. Green sandstone rubble, limestone ashlar dressings, some stock brick dressings and some render. Slate roofs with stone coped gables with eastern cross finial. West tower, nave and chancel. West tower rebuilt c.1779 and restored in the C19; with plinth and west doorway restored in C19 with pointed head, continuously chamfered surround, plank doors and red brick semi-circular relieving arch above. C19 pointed window above with 2 cusped, pointed lights with quatrefoil. Moulded string course defines bell stage with bell openings on 3 sides, each a plain pointed opening with continuous chamfered surround. Late C12 nave and chancel. North side of the nave with outline of 2 blocked arcade bays with 2 C19 windows inserted each with 2 pointed cusped lights and cusped mouchette above. Chancel with single late C12 lancet and C19 rendered brick buttress beyond. East end of chancel with pointed late C14 window with 3 pointed lights and hood mould. South side of chancel with single C12 lancet to west. South side of nave with large late C14 rectangular window with 4 cusped, ogee headed lights and hood mould. Single stage C12 buttress to the left and C12 lancet beyond. Inner tower doorway of c.1779 with semi-circular head, large fanlight with stained glass and leather covered doors. Late C12 2 bay north arcade partially exposed with double chamfered pointed heads, octagonal central pier with moulded capital, west respond capital with crude large petals with veins and east respond barely visible. Late C12 chancel arch with double chamfered pointed head, a little askew, and hood mould; polygonal responds with moulded capitals with beaded bands. C19 altar rail, pews, pulpit and lectern. Flat ceilings. C17 memorial to Thomas Kent, poet. Late C12 drum font with intersecting pointed arcade inscribed, with broad cable decorated band below, and roll moulded above.

Listing NGR: TF2356482974

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
195895
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/05658/18
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].