CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1063692
Date first listed:
09-Mar-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063692 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Sep-2019 at 06:04:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
East Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Legbourne
National Grid Reference:
TF 36762 84430

Details

LEGBOURNE CHURCH LANE TF 38 SE (north-west side)

5/16 Church of All Saints 9.3.67

G.V. I

Parish church. c.1380, 1865-8 by Rogers and Marsden. Chalk, greenstone and ironstone blocks, limestone and chalk, ashlar dressings. Lead roofs with stone coped gables and cross finials, some slate. West tower, nave with north and south aisles and south porch and chancel. Greenstone plinth, and 2 stage greenstone regularly positioned buttresses added to tower and nave in 1865-8. Chalk C14 west tower with C19 greenstone corners and 3 stage angle buttresses. Pointed west window with 3 cusped ogee headed lights and C19 reticulated tracery and hood mould. Square cusped plaque above containing blank shield. North side with polygonal chalk stair turret to east with slit lights. Square, cusped plaque to west with blank shield. South side with square, cusped plaque with blank shield. Moulded string course above. Single pointed C19 window on west and south sides, each with cusped, pointed head and hood mould. Clock above on south side. Bell openings on all 4 sides each with pointed head and 2 ogee cusped lights with quatrefoil and hood mould. Moulded eaves and parapet above. West end of north aisle plain. North side with 3 pointed windows each with 2 cusped ogee headed lights and C19 vertical tracery and hood mould. East end of aisle with pointed 3 light window with cusped heads, reticulated tracery partially restored in C19, hood mould. C15 clerestory above with 4 windows each of 3 lights with cusped heads, reticulated tracery and hood mould. Tall C20 chimney to east. chancel of 1865-8. North side with 2 pointed windows each with 2 cusped ogee headed lights with mouchette and hood mould. East end with large pointed window with 3 cusped ogee headed lights, large mouchettes above and hood mould. South side with 2 pointed windows each with 2 cusped ogee headed lights, quatrefoil and hood mould. East end of south aisle with pointed window of 3 cusped ogee headed lights, C19 reticulated tracery and hood mould. South side with 3 pointed windows each with 2 lights with cusped ogee heads with mouchettes and hood mould. C19 porch to west with pointed south doorway with moulded surround in one and hood mould. Porch interior with C14 doorway with pointed head with richly moulded rectangular hood mould with flanking single cusped roundels in between containing blank shields. 2 slender shafts on each jamb and plank door. 4 clerestorey windows above with pointed heads, 2 cusped ogee heads, mouchettes and hood moulds. Interior tower arch of c.1380 with tall, triple chamfered pointed head and polygonal responds with moulded capitals. North and south arcades of c.1380 of 4 bays with pointed, double chamfered heads, octagonal piers and polygonal responds. Chancel arch of c.1380 with pointed, double chamfered head and polygonal responds. Fine C15 rood screen partially restored in C19 with central ogee headed opening flanked by 2 panels, lower sections blind, rich tracery with rosettes and narrow traceried buttresses. C19 screens round organ in north east bay of nave. Cusped ogee headed piscina in south wall of chancel. Small cusped C14 piscina in south wall of south aisle of nave. C19 roofs, pews, pulpit, altar rail and lectern. Black and white marble monument to Frederick and Edmund Allenby, the former drowned off Mablethorpe in 1815, the latter died from exposure and fatigue after climbing Mount Etna in Sicily. C19 octagonal font with tall base with traceried panels and bowl decorated with blind shields. Glass fragments of c.1380 in quatrefoil of north-east aisle window and south west window of chancel. Stone slab in front of south-east altar off nave with illegible medieval inscription running round edge. Source: Banks Collection, Lincoln Public Library. Volume 3, p.27.

Listing NGR: TF3676284430

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
195900
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Aug 2003
Reference: IOE01/10856/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harris. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].