CHURCH OF ST ANNE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1063739
Date first listed:
12-Jul-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANNE, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANNE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063739.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 10:22:05.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANNE, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Derbyshire
District:
Derbyshire Dales (District Authority)
Parish:
Beeley
National Park:
PEAK DISTRICT
National Grid Reference:
SK 26488 67646

Details

PARISH OF BEELEY CHURCH LANE SK 26 NE 5/36 (North Side) 12.7.67 Church of St Anne GV II* Parish church. C12, C13, restoration 1882-4 by H Cockbain. Coursed squared gritstone with gritstone dressings and quoins. Lead and Welsh slate roofs, hidden behind plain parapets with moulded copings. Chamfered plinth. West tower, nave with north aisle and south porch, chancel with north vestry. C13 west tower of two unequal stages. Diagonal buttresses to west. Single light depressed ogee headed bell-openings in each direction. To the west a pilaster buttress. Moulded battlements and four crocketed pinnacles. C19 gabled south porch with neo-Norman moulded round-arched doorway with colonnettes and carved capitals. The south side of the nave has two C19 3-light windows with reticulated tracery. Hoodmoulds on head stops. Two buttresses, continuous moulded sill bands. The south side of the chancel has a plainly chamfered priests doorway. To the left a 2-light flat arched window with triangular headed subcusped lights. To the right a 3-light C19 window with cusped intersecting tracery. Hoodmould with head stops. 3-light east window with bar tracery. The north side of the chancel has one ogee headed cusped lancet. North aisle and vestry in one of 1882-4. West and east windows and four north windows, all of 3-lights with reticulated tracery, under segmental pointed heads. Continuous sill and hoodmould, the latter stepped up over the windows. Buttresses between each window, have two set-offs. Ashlar chimney at the north east corner. Interior: Plain C12 south doorway with scallop capitals on C19 polished stone columns. Segmental innter arch and C19 plank door. Three bay north arcade with octagonal piers, moulded capitals and double chamfered arches with hoodmould. Similar C19 tower arch, the hoodmould with elaborate carved stops with narrative biblical scenes. Similar chancel arch. Monuments. Brass to John Calvert +1710, a recumbent figure in a shroud. Large aedicule to George and John Savile +1733 and 1734. C19 stone and marble reredos and dado to east wall with inset needlework panels. C19 piscina of subcusped round arch on colonnettes. C19 altar with painted gothic panels. C19 gothic choir stalls, built in stone pulpit and tub font. Stained glass, World War I memorial window in the north aisle, by Heaton, Butler & Bayne.

Listing NGR: SK2648867646

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
81602
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Oct 2001
Reference: IOE01/04350/21
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Keith Bomford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].