This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

Wellington Column

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: Wellington Column

List entry Number: 1063784

Location

Wellington Column, William Brown Street, Liverpool

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Liverpool

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 359744

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Enhancement on 05/06/2018

SJ 3590 NW 50/1361

WILLIAM BROWN STREET L1 Wellington Column

28.6.52

GV II* Monument, 1861-1863, by Andrew Lawson of Edinburgh who won a design competition in 1856 (construction of the monument was delayed whilst an appropriate site was found). Sandstone fluted Doric column with a pedestal base set upon granite steps and surmounted by a bronze statue of the Duke of Wellington by George Anderson Lawson, brother of Andrew Lawson. The monument is 132ft (40 metres) high overall. The pedestal incorporates bronze plaques displaying the names of Wellington’s victories and on the south side is a relief depicting the charge at the Battle of Waterloo, which was installed in 1865 and is also by George Anderson Lawson.

HISTORICAL NOTE: The Wellington Column was the regular site for outdoor meetings by the Liverpool branch of the Women’s Social and Political Union (WSPU), the militant suffrage organisation founded in Manchester by Emmeline Pankhurst and other women from the Independent Labour Party (ILP) in 1903. The Union followed the ILP tradition of outdoor propagandising, and used recognisable venues in crowded thoroughfares to try to get its message across. The Wellington Column was used from 1907 until 1914 when the WSPU’s campaign was suspended at the outbreak of the First World War. Suffragette speakers at the column included Patricia Woodlock, Liverpool’s most prolific suffragette prisoner, and Alice Morrissey, a founding member of the WSPU, and the wife of Liverpool’s first elected socialist.

This list entry was amended in 2018 as part of the centenary commemorations of the 1918 Representation of the People Act.

Listing NGR: SJ3502990756

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Cowman, Krista, Mrs Brown is a Man and a Brother! , (2006)
Sharples, J, Pevsner Architectural Guides: Liverpool, (2004), 64

National Grid Reference: SJ 35029 90756

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063784 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 10:10:29.

End of official listing