CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CLAINES LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063810.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 00:31:51.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, CLAINES LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Worcester (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SO 85143 58862
SO85NE CLAINES LANE, Claines 620-1/2/663 (South side) 14/03/69 Church of St John the Baptist (Formerly Listed as: NORTH CLAINES CLAINES LANE (South side) Church of St John the Baptist)
Parish church. C12 origins, rebuilt early C15, C16 additions, restored and enlarged by Aston Webb 1886/7 with further mid-C20 alterations. Dressed sandstone, plain tiled roofs with parapets at gable ends and cross finial at east end. West tower, 4-bay aisled nave with additional north outer aisle and north and south porches, 2-bay chancel with north and south chapels and north vestry. Perpendicular style. WEST TOWER: 3 stages, 3 strings, plain chamfered plinth which continues around building and diagonal buttresses at west end; square-headed west window with 3 cusped ogee-headed lights, most of the windows in the church are of this type; the north and south walls have blocked doorways; second stage has a single ogee-headed light to each face; belfry stage has square-headed, 2-light, louvred openings and above is an embattled parapet with crocketted corner pinnacles. NAVE: lean-to aisles, late C19 outer north aisle has parapet with moulded coping, buttresses with offsets and crocketted pinnacles, the parapet has embrasures each side of pinnacles; north elevation reuses much of earlier masonry from former north wall; three 3-light windows; inner aisle has gabled dormer with parapet, square-based finial and 2-light window above third bay from west end; 3-light window in west elevation of both aisles, the outer one having a two-centred head. NORTH PORCH: late C19, projects from easternmost bay, has a gable end parapet, corner pilaster buttresses, central round-arched panels which are repeated in the side elevations; there is a 2-light window in the west side elevation. SOUTH AISLE: buttresses with offsetts, three 3-light windows, gabled dormer similar to north inner aisle and 3-light window at west end. SOUTH PORCH: late C19, situated second bay from west, has gable end parapet with kneelers and square-based finial, diagonal corner buttresses with offsetts, gablets and cusped lancet panels; plain, chamfered, two-centred archway and above, a circular, traceried opening pierced in apex; side elevations have square-headed openings with cusped lancet tracery. CHANCEL: north and south chapels added during early C16; north chapel is dedicated to St Catherine and the south chapel is a chantry chapel; buttresses with offsetts, the original diagonal buttress at the south-east end of the chancel was set square when the chapel was added; 3-light east window with two-centred head. NORTH CHAPEL: east gable end parapet late C19 but retaining some quatrefoil panelling from the original early C16 parapet: the pinnacles from the latter are reused on the west tower; 3-light east window with four-centred head, and at north-east end there is a three-light window reused from the original north chancel wall; to the west of it projects the late C19 vestry which adjoins the north porch; this has a gable end parapet with crocketted finials, a central gable end buttress with a coat of arms carved above it; to the left of it is a round-arched doorway with single roll moulding and to the right of it a 3-light window; in the east side elevation, reused C16 2- and 3-light windows flank a central buttress. The south chapel has a heavily moulded cornice following the incline of the lean-to roof at the east end, a quatrefoil-panelled parapet and crocketted, gabled and panelled pinnacles above each buttress; at the east end is a 3-light window and in the south elevation a 2-light and a 3-light window both reset from the original south chancel wall; between them is a blocked doorway. The hopper heads all bear the date of the 1886 restoration. INTERIOR: 4-bay nave arcades with 2-centred arches of a single, chamfered order on octagonal columns and responds with moulded capitals and bases; in the apex of the east gable is a cinquefoil light; outer north aisle has a 4-bay arcade on compound piers with moulded capitals and bases and pointed arches; 2-bay chancel arcades, the south one similar in detail to the nave arcades, the north arcade is of 2 chamfered orders, the outer hollow chamfered and the inner order wave moulded, the columns and responds continue the orders and have moulded capitals and bases; 2-centred chancel arch of a single chamfered order, semi-octagonal responds with moulded capitals and bases; tower arch and arch into chantry chapel are both similar to the chancel arch; arch into St Catherine's chapel is detailed in the same manner as the north chancel arcade and has 2 early C19 squints in the south abutment, and the stairs to the former rood loft in the north abutment; an aperture above the north abutment is the only surviving evidence of the actual loft. A large pointed archway leads from St Catherine's chapel into the north vestry. ROOFS: nave has a trussed rafter roof, aisles retain medieval purlins, swept wind-braces and principal rafters which are supported on foliated corbels. Roofs of chancel and chapels, late C19, chancel has richly decorated cornice and also quatrefoil panelling above wall-plate; all roofs have foliated bosses. Late C19 reredos, altar rails, parcloses, pulpit, font and pews. Section of C12 arcade column retained in recess in north wall of tower. C15 tiles set in east wall of north porch. MEMORIALS: recumbent effigy of John Porter, died 1577, in south-east of chancel with a blind arcade on its north side of 3 round-headed arches on fluted pilasters with blank shields in trefoiled panels beneath. Stone coffin lid, probably C13 and carved with a Passion cross, set in floor at west end of nave; also many ledger slabs on nave floor dating from late C17. Several good late C17 and early C18 memorials in the north aisles which include a memorial to Mary Porter, died 1668, with a segmental pediment, coat of arms and angel head corbel; also 2 large cartouches to George Porter, died 1709 and Henry Wynne, died 1693, and an early C18 memorial to the Jackson family with segmental pediment and coat of arms. In the south-west corner of the chancel is a memorial to Sir Harry Wakeman, died 1831, a bust on a draped sarcophagus by Hollins of Birmingham; also memorials to Sir Offley Penbury died 1858, and to Mary Wakeman died 1832, and a small early C18 cartouche. Both chapels and the south aisle have numerous good quality memorials mainly of early C18 and early and mid-C19 date. Glass is all late C19 except for the north-east window of St Catherine's chapel which contains mid-C20 glass. A large Perpendicular parish church, well detailed, notably the exterior of the chantry chapel and main interior features and having a particularly good collection of memorials. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Worcestershire: Harmondsworth: 1968-1985: 224; Victoria County History: History of the County of Worcestershire).
Formerly listed in the parish of North Claines on the 71st list for the District of Wychavon, County of Hereford & Worcester.
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 224
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing