This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHOIR HOUSE AND THE OLD LIBRARY

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHOIR HOUSE AND THE OLD LIBRARY

List entry Number: 1063818

Location

CHOIR HOUSE AND THE OLD LIBRARY, 4 AND 4A, COLLEGE GREEN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Worcestershire

District: Worcester

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Apr-1971

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Jun-2001

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 488651

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WORCESTER

SO8554SW COLLEGE GREEN 620-1/20/159 (South East side) 05/04/71 Nos.4 AND 4A Choir House and the Old Library (Formerly Listed as: COLLEGE GREEN (East side) Nos.4 AND 4A)

GV II

Terraced buildings returning and forming the SE corner of the Green, previously service ranges, now part of King's School. That to left (east side of the Green) of 1910; designed by A. Hill Parker and built by Stokes Brothers. To the right (south side), coach house and stables; rebuilt 1845; architect AE Perkins; converted for school use by A. Hill Parker, 1908 and 1909. Red and cream sandstone. Slate roofs, that to left laid to diminishing courses; parapeted eaves and gables. Left house has stone stack to right gable end with string course, cornice and pots. Right-hand building has brick stacks with oversailing details and pots; dormers in mock timber-framing to far right. Ornate lead hopper head to far left. L-shaped, single-depth plan. Left house: Symmetrical composition in Tudor style; 2 full-height window bays break forward slightly, parapeted gables; linking range to each end. 2-storeys. 5 first-floor windows. Stonework is ashlar, mostly a punched finish with drafted margins; detailing includes plinth; moulded string course over heads of ground-floor and below sills of first-floor windows; central canopied niche rising from upper string course with statue, cartouche below inscribed "HHW"; parapet copings, crenellated to eaves; finials to gables; shield to left bearing school crest. Multi-pane metal-framed casement windows, the four principal being tri-partite mullion and transom, those to upper floor have cambered heads. Mullion and double transom window to left has square leaded-light glazing. Wide arched opening below with vertically boarded door and side-lights. Arch-headed vertically boarded door to far right. Right house: Asymmetric gabled elevation in Tudor style. Part single-, part 2-storey. 5 first-floor windows. Stonework is punched ashlar; detailing includes chamfered sills and window surrounds, gable copings and finials, blank shield to left-hand parapet and to tympanum of adjacent 2 windows to right. Fenestration to left facade is lancet, mullion, mullion and transom, all with square leaded glazing; that to right is 6/6 and 4/4 sashes apart from two 6-pane paired side-hung casements. 4-centred arch entrance to extreme left, vertically boarded door with overlight and sidelights. Further boarded door with arched head to centre. Part-glazed panelled door with arched head to far right. INTERIOR: Right house has carved stone brackets to timber ceiling and carved stone fireplace. Left house has stop-chamfered panelled doors in moulded wood architraves; substantial joinery to open-well stair with diamond-set balusters and tapered newels; principal reception room to ground-floor right with timber ceiling and 'cottage-style' timber surround, inglenook fireplace with carved brackets to bressumer. HISTORICAL NOTE: left-hand building constructed as the Woodward Memorial Extension to Choir House. Herbert Hall Woodward was precentor from 1890-1909. AE Perkins was architect also of extensions to Nos 10 & 10A College Green (qv) and of Eld Hall, Upper Tything (qv). A. Hill Parker was the architect of several extensions on College Green including Nos. 4 and 4A; No.5 and No.6 (qqv); he was architect also of Perrins Hall, Upper Tything (qv). All the listed buildings in College Green are part of a significant group forming the setting for Worcester Cathedral (qv) to the north side. The rear boundary wall to Nos. 2-6 College Green (qqv) is part of the Monastic Precinct Wall (Scheduled Ancient Monument). (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Worcestershire: Harmondsworth: 1968-1985: 334; Worcester Cathedral Publications: Knowles Joan M: College Green Worcester 1800-1900: Worcester: 1995-).



Selected Sources

Books and journals
Knowles, J M, College Green Worcester 1800-1900, (1995)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 334

National Grid Reference: SO 85037 54398

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063818 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-May-2018 at 10:57:37.

End of official listing