This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NO 9 AND ATTACHED WALL TO LEFT AT REAR

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NO 9 AND ATTACHED WALL TO LEFT AT REAR

List entry Number: 1063821

Location

NO 9 AND ATTACHED WALL TO LEFT AT REAR, 9, COLLEGE GREEN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Worcestershire

District: Worcester

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-May-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Jun-2001

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 488654

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WORCESTER

SO85SW COLLEGE GREEN 620-1/3/162 (South side) 22/05/54 No.9 and attached wall to left at rear (Formerly Listed as: COLLEGE GREEN (South side) No.9)

GV II*

House and attached wall. Late C16 or early C17, with rebuilding of mid C18 and later additions and alterations including restorations c1970-90. Timber frame with facades of pinkish-red brick in Flemish bond with plain tile double pitch roof and 2 left end brick stacks, side stack to front at right and rear stack; all with oversailing course and pots. Pinkish-brown brick wall with purple brick copings. PLAN: unusual plan, with three parallel ranges comprising kitchen to S, central service room and largest range to N. C18 - early C19 extensions along W elevation, including former stair tower to W of N wing. Exterior: N elevation refronted in brick in late C18. 3 storeys with attic in gable at rear, 3 first floor windows. Timber framing: exposed post to SE. Front facade: plinth. 6/6 sashes in near flush frames with flat arches of gauged brick throughout. 3-course first and second floor bands and moulded eaves band. Entrance at right: 4 raised and fielded panel door with fluted frieze, divided overlight with margin lights in porch with slender octagonal pilasters, frieze and cornice. Rear: first floor has canted bay with 10/10 between 6/6 sashes; second floor has two 6/6 sashes; attic has 6/6 fixed light. INTERIOR: cyma and ovolo moulded beams to ground and first floors, with early sawn floorboards and some late C16/C17 doors; the kitchen has large open fireplace with chamfered bressumer. The central service room has remarkably rare and fine example of service screen: upper row of cupboards, with mullioned door and panelled doors with decorative piercing; cupboard door to left of ribbed plank door to cellar. Transverse beam, former partition wall, marks position of service passage from kitchen to W range. Fine late C17 staircase, with pulvinated and turned balusters, relating to contemporary cross windows in stair turret but not to former newel stair, which rises within the body of the C16/early house to the attic. The hall, clearly the result of late C18 reworking, has late C17 bolection moulded panels to dado. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: wall L-plan, curved to angle with brick buttresses, approximately 2 metres high and 30 metres long. HISTORICAL NOTE: known in the C17 as The Organist's House. From 1784 Widow Cowe lived here, followed by Mary Isaac, Revd Charles Yardley, Miss Susan Shapland (from c1821), Mary Shapland from 1850. In 1881 DW Sampson, the second master of King's School lived here. Knowles notes that the whole of the south side of College Green had been service buildings to the medieval monastery. A complex multi-phase house.

All the listed buildings in College Green are part of a significant group forming the setting for Worcester Cathedral (qv) to the north side. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Worcestershire: Harmondsworth: 1968-1985: 316; Knowles JM: College Green: Worcester 1800-1900: Worcester: 1995-: 22-3).



Selected Sources

Books and journals
Knowles, J M, College Green Worcester 1800-1900, (1995)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 316

National Grid Reference: SO 84952 54353

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063821 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2018 at 11:56:26.

End of official listing