THE DEANERY (NO 10) AND OFFICE (10A) WITH ATTACHED WALLS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1063822

Date first listed: 22-May-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Jun-2001

Statutory Address: THE DEANERY (NO 10) AND OFFICE (10A) WITH ATTACHED WALLS, 10 AND 10A, COLLEGE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE DEANERY (NO 10) AND OFFICE (10A) WITH ATTACHED WALLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063822 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2018 at 04:50:25.

Location

Statutory Address: THE DEANERY (NO 10) AND OFFICE (10A) WITH ATTACHED WALLS, 10 AND 10A, COLLEGE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Worcestershire

District: Worcester (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SO 84937 54374

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WORCESTER

SO85SW COLLEGE GREEN 620-1/3/163 (South West side) 22/05/54 Nos.10 AND 10A The Deanery (No.10) and Office (No.10A) with attached walls (Formerly Listed as: COLLEGE GREEN (South side) No.10)

GV II*

Also known as: The Ovens. House, now Deanery and office, with attached walls. c1700, with earlier origins, extended c1870 to left and rear. Built onto part of C13 remains of Worcester Castle; later additions and alterations including extensions and c1870 range at left for Canon Alfred Barry by AE Perkins. Main range of red brick in Flemish bond with pinkish-brown brick to left; stone sills; hipped plain tile roofs and tall brick stacks, banded and with stepped oversailing courses and pots, the main range has lateral and rear stacks, the left range has rear stack. PLAN: double depth to main range with central stairhall; the ground level at rear is much lower, but this is occupied by Castle remains which are visible only from the rear. 2 storeys plus attic, 5 first-floor windows with range to left of 3 storeys, 1 first-floor window. Main range has moulded plinth. Continuous first-floor band, moulded at right. Mainly 6/6 sashes throughout in flush frames and with flat arches of gauged brick and sills. To second floor at left a 2/2 sash. Crowning modillion eaves. Main range has 3 box dormers with 3/3 sashes. Entrances: main range has central entrance a 6-panel door, the lower panels flush beaded, the upper panels raised and fielded, within plain architrave and with overlight with margin-lights; within projecting porch with tooled pilasters, frieze and cornice. Left range has off-centre right entrance a 4-raised-and-fielded-panel door with overlight and hood on corbel brackets. Rear raised on 5-bay blind arcade of coursed stone said to be part of Worcester Castle. The segmental arches probably date from the building of the terrace in the early C18, the wall having formed a revetment to a former medieval structure. Some tall 2/4 sashes, 6/6 and 9/9 sashes. INTERIOR: stone flagged floor to hallway. Dogleg staircase to full height has closed string and moulded ramped handrail; from ground to first floor are substantial barleytwist-on-vase balusters, then rod-on-bobbin balusters, 2 per tread. 2-raised-and-fielded panel doors in panelled reveals. Ground floor: front room to right has marble fireplace and cast-iron Victorian grate; late Victorian fireplace at rear; further Neo-classical Revival fireplace. Four 8-raised-and-fielded-panel doors. To first floor the front room has fitted cupboard with S- and H-hinges and doors made from probably C17 panelling. Some 4-panel doors, some moulded cornices; Regency marble fireplace. Shutters to some windows. Stone-walled basement includes fine late C16 ovolo moulded door surround with urn stops. Basement has stone walling and C18 brick vaulting. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: kitchen garden wall and front boundary wall at left, approximately 3 metres high. The coped stone walls which flank the rear garden are late medieval in date, and comprise part of the wall listed under Kleve Walk (qv, item 697). HISTORICAL NOTE: Knowles notes that the whole of the south side of College Green had been service buildings to the medieval monastery, and that it is probable that this dwelling occupies the site of the bakehouse. By 1820 the Dean and Chapter had let it to Elizabeth Marriott, then to Henry Grape. c1821-1870 it was sub-let to Frances Maria Kilvert. In 1870 it was enlarged for Canon Alfred Barry (son of the architect Charles Barry) who borrowed money from Queen Anne's Bounty; the cathedral architect, A E Perkins carried out the work. All the listed buildings in College Green are part of a significant group forming the setting for Worcester Cathedral (qv) to the north side. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Worcestershire: Harmondsworth: 1968-1985: 316; Knowles JM: College Green: Worcester. 1800-1900.: Worcester: 1995-: 22-3).



Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 488655

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Knowles, J M, College Green Worcester 1800-1900, (1995)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 316

End of official listing