This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NO 15 AND WALL ADJOINING TO EAST

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NO 15 AND WALL ADJOINING TO EAST

List entry Number: 1063827

Location

NO 15 AND WALL ADJOINING TO EAST, 15, COLLEGE GREEN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Worcestershire

District: Worcester

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 22-May-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Jun-2001

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 488660

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WORCESTER

SO8554SW COLLEGE GREEN 620-1/20/168 (North side) 22/05/54 No.15 and wall adjoining to east (Formerly Listed as: COLLEGE GREEN (North side) No.15 The Deanery)

GV II*

House, now offices for the King's School, and wall adjoining. c1720-30 with later alterations including those Mid C19. Reddish-brown brick in Flemish bond with ashlar plinth, doorcase, pilasters, keystones and cornice; hipped plain tile roof; 2 tall brick lateral stacks with oversailing courses and pots and 2 tall rear stacks. PLAN: double depth with central hallway and ranges to set back to right and at rear. EXTERIOR: main range of 2 storeys on half-basement with attics, 7 first-floor windows. Raised plinth with moulded coping surmounted by clasping pilasters with horizontal rustication. 6/6 sashes to ground and first floors with moulded sills, flat arches of gauged brick, central keystones with cornices (that to first floor at centre is embellished with foliate motif). Dentil cornice continues to returns. Low coped parapet has end and 3 regularly-spaced pilasters with horizontal rustication. 3 roof dormers with casement windows. Half-basement has 2-light mullion openings, now with bars. Central entrance: flight of 3 semi-circular roll-edged steps and upper step to 8-raised-and-fielded-panel door in pedimented Gibbs surround. 2 cast-iron boot scrapers. Right return has cogged band over first floor. Range set back at right of 2 storeys with attic, 4 first-floor windows, with outer 2/2 sashes and two 6/6 sashes between, all with cambered flat arches; gable-ended roof dormer has casement; end stack. Left return has 4 first-floor windows, all embellished as front facade and with similar clasping pilasters to end. Rear range under hipped roof has 2-light mullion windows with lancet lights; attic dormers with decorative bargeboards; dentil eaves. INTERIOR: hallway has panelled dado and 2 round arches with raised-and-fielded panels leading to openwell staircase with closed string and carved tread ends, rod-on-vase balusters with square knops; moulded cornice.6-raised-and-fielded-panel doors. Hall has panelled window seat. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: wall to east extends for approximately 10 metres x 2.75 metres high with double-chamfered stone copings; inserted opening. Abuts Edgar Tower (qv) at east. HISTORICAL NOTE: built on he site of the Almoner's house and part of the Priory. In 1797 Canon Thomas James lived here; followed in 1804 by Canon Francis Seymour St John; and from 1833 by Canon Edward Winnington Ingrams; Canon John Fortesque from 1851; and Canon James Bowling from 1869. It became The Deanery in 1942. Abuts the remains of the Guesten Hall (Scheduled Ancient Monument), whose roof is now displayed at the Avoncroft Open Air Museum, Bromsgrove. All the listed buildings in College Green are part of a significant group forming the setting for Worcester Cathedral (qv) to the north side. NMR photograph. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner: N: Worcestershire: Harmondsworth: 1968-1985: 316; Knowles JM: College Green, Worcester. 1800-1900.: Worcester: 1995-: 23).



Selected Sources

Books and journals
Knowles, J M, College Green Worcester 1800-1900, (1995), 23
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Worcestershire, (1968), 316

National Grid Reference: SO 85064 54459

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1063827 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2018 at 06:01:34.

End of official listing