CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1064023
Date first listed:
30-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1064023 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2019 at 00:35:19.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
West Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Greetwell
National Grid Reference:
TF 01354 71532

Details

GREETWELL CHURCH LANE TF 07 SW (west side) 3/38 Church of All Saints 30.11.66 G.V. II*

Parish church. C11, early C13, late C14, heavily restored in C19. Coursed limestone rubble. Plain tiled roofs with decorative red ridge tiles. West tower, nave with south porch, apsidal chancel. Early C13 west tower heavily restored in C19. West side with re-set round C11 window with looped decoration. Single slit light above with another slit light above that. 2 string courses above. Bell openings on all 4 sides, each with pair of pointed lights with chamfered surrounds. Moulded eaves above and pyramidal roof. Steeper pitch of earlier nave roof visible on east side. North side of nave late C14 with window to west with triangular head, 2 round headed cusped lights and vertical tracery. Blocked pointed doorway to east with fragmentary hood mould. C14 window beyond with segmental head, 2 cusped round headed lights and vertical tracery. Apse with string course and 3 plain round headed windows. South side of nave with 2 windows with segmental heads, 2 cusped round headed lights and vertical tracery. Remains of large, blocked Cll keyhole window in between. South porch with single small rectangular lights in east and west sides. Round headed south archway with chamfered inner order, moulded polygonal capitals and abaci. Porch interior flanked by stone benches. Pointed C14 doorway with moulded jambs and head in one, inner order filleted, hood mould and plank door. Interior tower arch Cll, broadened at a later date, with round chamfered head, chamfered imposts and rectangular quoined jambs. Tall Cll chancel arch with round head, chamfered imposts and rectangular quoined jambs. North side of apse early C13 tombstone re-set, inscribed: "Hic Jacet Adanz de London Quandam Rectoristius ecclesiac cujus aizinzae propiehir Deus". 2 C18 ashlar monuments in apse to Richard Lely, died 1734 and Anna Lely, died 1733. Marble gravestone in apse floor to Robert Dalyson, died c.1620. South wall of nave a square opening containing piscina and partially blocked rectangular opening to west. C13 font heavily restored in C19, with octagonal plinth surrounded by 8 shafts, their stiff leaf capitals forming broad band round base of plain rectangular bowl. Black and white marble monument to Thomas Kitchen, died 1809. Various C19 monuments. C19 pulpit and ornately carved chair. C20 pews.

Listing NGR: TF0135471532

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
197205
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Jun 2002
Reference: IOE01/07753/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger H Mockford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].