This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1064025

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Reepham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 197210

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

REEPHAM CHURCH LANE TF 07 SW (north-west side) 3/43 Church of St. Peter and 30.11.66 St. Paul II*

Parish church. Early C13, early C14, mostly rebuilt 1862 by Michael Drury. Coursed limestone rubble, limestone ashlar. Slate roofs with stone coped gables with cross finials. West tower, nave with north aisle and south porch, rectangular chancel. C19 west tower with plinth, western lancet with chamfered surround and string course defining bell stage. Bell openings on all 4 sides, each with 2 pointed lights, cusped oculus above, hood mould and label stops. Clock in south bell opening. Moulded eaves above with re-used corner gargoyles on all but south-west corner. Battlements above with embattled chimney in south-east corner. Pyramidal roof. C19 north aisle with high plinth and pointed west window with 3 cusped lights, tracery and hood mould. North side with 3 pointed windows, each with 2 pointed, cusped lights and quatrefoil above. East end of aisle with pointed windows with 3 cusped lights, tracery and hood mould. North side of chancel with early C13 cusped lancet with hood mould and head label stops. East end of chancel with pointed C19 window with 3 cusped lights, tracery, hood mould and head label stops. South side of chancel with pointed C19 window to east with 2 ogee headed, cusped lights, quatrefoil, hood mould and head label stops. C19 lancet to west with hood mould. South side of nave with outline of 3 early C13 pointed arcade bays. Foliated capital on corbel head between first and second bays from east, with octagonal abacus. 2 pointed C19 windows set between bays each with 3 cusped lights. C19 gabled south porch re-using C14 fragments. Paired, pointed cusped openings on east nd west sides. Pointed south door with moulded surround, hood mould and floral label stops. Interior of porch with C19 pointed doorway with moulded surround, filleted hood mould, large foliate label stops and plank door. C19 interior tower arch with pointed, double chamfered head, inner order supported on large corbels with lilies-and maple leaves, and rectangular jambs. Early C13 3 bay south arcade embedded in wall with partially visible double chamfered pointed heads with rolled hood mould on 2 bays to west. Cluster of 3 shafts to west with 3 waterleaf capitals and richly moulded abacus. Next pier to east with small plain capital missing its detached shaft, moulded abacus above. Part of abacus visible of easternmost capital. Early C14 north arcade of 3 bays with pointed, double chamfered heads, hood moulds and C19 foliate stops on north and south sides. 2 piers with cluster of 4 large, filleted rolls with 4 smaller rolls between and plain capitals. Western octagonal corbel, eastern respond of clustered, filleted rolls. Early C14 pointed double chamfered chancel arch with moulded abaci, C19 rectangular jambs, hood mould and label stops. Roofs of 1862. C19 pews, altar rail, pulpit and lecturn. C20 octagonal font with starred panels and foliate bands. Ashlar monument on south wall of chancel to Ann Benet, died 1738, with scrolls and coat of arms.

Listing NGR: TF0384973882

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 03849 73882

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1064025 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-May-2018 at 06:35:54.

End of official listing