This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST LUKE

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LUKE

List entry Number: 1064070

Location

CHURCH OF ST LUKE, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey

District Type: District Authority

Parish: North Carlton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 197012

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 97 NW NORTH CARLTON MAIN STREET

4/49 Church of St. Luke 30-11-66 II*

Parish church. C15 and 1771-73. Coursed, limestone rubble, ashlar, slate and lead roofs. West tower, nave, apsidal chancel, south porch., Tower of 2 stages, moulded string course, embattled parapet with C15 corner pinnacles, unbuttressed originally, but now with added angle buttresses. Recut 2 light 4 centred arched C15 window in blocking of the west door. Immediately beneath the string course is a narrow blocked light. To belfry stage, paired lights under 4 centred arches with hood moulds in all 4 directions. To north wall of ashlar nave a single semi-circular headed window with keystone and hood mould. Nave has a plinth, parapet and molded cornice. The lead roofed apse has a deep plinth and the sides have single keyed oculi. South side of the nave has 2 windows matching the single one to the north. The south porch is pedimented with angle pilasters, a semi-circular headed door with impost blocks, hood mould and keystone. Panelled double doors. The south door has a single plain order with a keystone. Inside, the tower arch is of 2 chamfered'orders with narrow octagonal capitals and responds. The rounded chancel arch has moulded architrave and imposts. Dentillated frieze to nave and chancel, the nave has a plain coved ceiling. The rear arches of the windows have architraves. In the nave is plain panelling to dado height, an C18 oak octagonal pulpit with brass candlesticks, finely curved altar rails with delicately turned balusters. Font is C18, an octagonal baluster shape with splayed wrought iron brackets. On the chancel floor are 2 small brass plaques, one to Edward Monson, d.l714, and the other undated to Sir John Monson. On the south wall of the nave a white marble wall plaque in the Greek Taste to Caleb Slater d,1805.

Listing NGR: SK9455377639

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 94553 77639

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1064070 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Aug-2018 at 11:20:09.

End of official listing