Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1064078.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Jun-2021 at 04:03:27.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

West Lindsey (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SK 83699 78951



2/76 Church of St. Peter 16-12-64 II*

Parish church. Early C13, late C13, C16, 1821 rebuilding of nave, aisle and chancel. Squared limestone rubble, coursed limestone rubble rendered, ashlar quoins and dressings, all with lead roofs. Western tower, nave, north aisle, vestry and chancel. The C16 2 stage, angle buttressed, tower is in squared limestone rubble and has a moulded plinth and cyma moulded string course, battlemented parapet with 4 corner pinnacles. The 2 light belfry openings to each face have plain panel tracery and hood moulds. In the south face of the tower is set a grotesque heads. The west window is of 3 lights with late C13 intersecting tracery set in a C16 deeply concave moulded surround with hood mould. Above is a kneeling carved figure. The north aisle, rebuilt in 1821, is rendered and has 2 two light windows with Y tracery and hood moulds. The vestry has a north door with hood mould and human head stops and a 2 light east window with C19 plate tracery. The chancel has a 2 light east winnow with C19 Y tracery and a cross fleury to gable. Behind the render of the south wall of the chancel can be seen a blocked doorway, indicating that the chancel has been shortened. The south wall of the nave has a central pointed headed door flanked by single 2 light Y traceried windows. Interior. The early C13 3 bay north arcade has filleted quatrefoil piers having good octagonal stiff leaf capitals, double chamfered arches with hood moulds and label stops. At the springing of the arches are small sprigs of foliage. The responds have shafts to either side. The C16 tall tower arch has one continuous outer chamfered order with hood mould, and an inner order springing from moulded impost blocks. In the nave, high up in the south wall)s a pointed niche containing a reset worn seated figure, possi ly a C13 virgin and child. The C13 chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders is supported on annular corbels with human heads to the undersides, that to the north being a bishop. In the chancel is a C19 doorway to the vestry. Nave, aisle and chancel have moulded plaster cornices with dogtooth decoration. There is C19 glass in the chancel, and the south window is dated 1917. All fittings are C19 or C20 except far the font. This is an early C13 tub which has a zone of stiff leaf decoration around the top, a hobnail band around the middle, it sits on a C19 pedestal. In the west wall is an early C19 charities board. Monuments. The altar table re-uses a C15 recumbent black letter slab with a shallow carving of a lady with coats of arms to either side of the head. In the west wall of the nave is a late C18 marble wall plaque to members of the Ellis family.

Listing NGR: SK8369978951


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/05615/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robin W. Symons. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].