CHURCH OF ST. PETER AND ST. PAUL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1064107
Date first listed:
16-Dec-1964
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. PETER AND ST. PAUL, HALL LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1064107.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 04-Dec-2020 at 08:42:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST. PETER AND ST. PAUL, HALL LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
West Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Kettlethorpe
National Grid Reference:
SK 84822 75695

Details

SK 87 NW KETTLETHORPE HALL LANE

2/37 Church of St. Peter and 16-12-64 St. Paul G.V. II

Parish church of SS.Peter and Paul. C15 and 1809 and late C19. Yellow brick, coursed limestone rubble, slate roofs. Western tower, nave, chancel, vestry. C15 3 stage tower with plain plinth, C19 first floor band and battlemented parapet, recut west door with half round reveals, octagonal capitals and 4 centred arch and hood mould. To first floor a 3 light window with cusped heads to the lights and to belfry stage cusped 3 light windows in all 4 directions. All windows have hollow chamfered 4 centred arched surrounds. Yellow brick nave of 1809 has battered angles stepped in towards the west and surmounted by a dentillated pediment and overhanging eaves. To the north wall one 2 light decorated style window with hood mould and a second plain pointed headed window. Vestry of the late C19 with 2 light window and east door. Chancel north wall of bonded limestone ashlar and lias rubble with inserted C19 2 light window. To the east end a 3 light window as on the north side. The south wall of the nave has 2 C19 windows with large plain impost blocks. West door has C19 ironwork. Interior. Nave is entered through early C19 half glazed double doors. North aisle is separated from nave by 2 cast iron stanchions and at the east end of the aisle is a plain doorway to the west. The C19 chancel arch is double chamfered without capitals and bases. The nave and chancel have C19 king post roofs. Fittings are C19 including the font, but the pulpit is C17 and chalice shaped, carved with scenes from the Life of Christ, said to come from Brittany. In the north wall of the chancel is a fine repositioned C15 corbel depicting an angel bearing a shield of arms supporting a moulded octagonal capital. The east window has stained glass dated 1873. Monuments. In the north wall of the sanctuary is a square stone wall plaque to John Reeke, rector, d,1597. Also in the sanctuary but on the south wall is an oval marble wall plaque to Rev. Hugh Palmer d.1799. On the north wall is a larger marble wall plaque to Charles Hall, d.1743 with an urn, putti and scrolls. In the north aisle is a plaque to the Cole family, late C18. At the west end of the nave are painted royal arms and round the side walls of the nave are c19 texts in red lettering.

Listing NGR: SK8482275695

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
197001
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Jun 2007
Reference: IOE01/16380/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].