CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1064111
Date first listed:
30-Nov-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1064111.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 21:55:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
West Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Nettleham
National Grid Reference:
TF 00771 75323

Details

TF 07 NW NETTLEHAM CHURCH STREET (north side)

5/36 Church of All Saints 30.11.66

G.V. I

Parish church. Early and mid C13, C14, C15, C16, C18, 1889 restoration by Bodley and Garner. Coursed and squared limestone rubble with lead roofs. Western tower, clerestoried nave, 2 aisles, south porch, chancel and former north chapel now vestry. The 3 stage C13 tower has 2 moulded string courses, a C15 battlemented parapet with corner crocketed pinnacles and stepped clasping buttresses. On the south side is a blocked C13 double chamfered arch with octagonal responds and capitals. In the 2nd stage is a rectangular light and an open face clock. To the belfry stage on all faces are paired 2 light pointed openings with circular responds, nook shafts, annular capitals with hobnail decoration, under a pointed arch with hood mould. The west face has single tall lancets to first and second stage and a small stair lancet. The north aisle has a C19 west lancet and is in squared coursed limestone rubble with 3 two light C19 windows with cusped heads and a plain north door in C19 opening. The vestry has a 2 light plain window and a C19 door in pointed opening. The clerestorey has 3 two light windows with cinquefoil cusped heads, flat arches and hood moulds with beast head labels. The chancel, rebuilt in 1889 by Bodley and Garner, is in squared limestone rubble, has a 3 light north window. The 5 light east window has C14 style ogee tracery and on the south side are 2 further C14 style 3 light windows. The south aisle has a C19 3 light east window in a C15 surround. The 2 C14 south windows are of 3 lights with ogee heads, in flat arches with hood moulds and human head labels. The clerestorey matches that on the north. The south aisle west window is a C19 lancet. The south porch is late C18 with plain pointed opening and side benches. The C13 inner doorway has a triple chamfered arch with hood mould having floriate stops, paired nook shafts with floriate annular capitals. The door is C19 with carved panels. Interior: The north and south arcades are of 3 bays, the easterly pairs of bays are mid C13 with attached clustered shafts terminating in stiff leaf capitals with circular abacii, double chamfered arches and hood moulds. The westernmost arches are early C13 with simple half round reveals, circular moulded capitals and double chamfered arches with hood moulds. The tower arch matches these westerly bays and has attached semi-circular reveals with nook shafts and a double chamfered arch with roll moulding between the chamfers. Inside the tower double chamfered arches open into the aisles, that to the south is now blocked. The tower west window has a double rear arch. Buttresses project into the aisle spaces with chamfered angles terminating in foliate stops. The mid C13 chancel arch has attached shafts with bold stiff leaf capitals and double chamfered arch with moulded hood. In the south aisle is a C13 piscina with pointed arch and 2 statue brackets are in the east wall. In the north aisle is a C14 double chamfered arch to the former north chapel, with octagonal responds and capitals. The C19 nave roof is arch braced but the south aisle has a C16 roof with massive tie beams and staggered butt purlins. In the chancel north wall is a broad C19 opening with cambered head to the vestry and beyond a C19 recut C14 doorway. In the south wall is an elaborate C19 sedilia and piscina with a re-used C15 kneeling angel finial. The C20 altar incorporates the medieval altar stone with consecration crosses. In the spandrels of the nave arcades are substantial fragments of an elaborate C13 scheme of painted decoration with foliate roundels, flowers and chequered border. The aisles have late C17 softwood panelling. The altar rails and table in the south aisle are of a similar date. The octagonal C19 font is a good quality copy of a late medieval original. In the nave are 2 fine early C18 candelabra. In the chancel and south aisle is late C19 stained glass. Monuments: in the south aisle is a limestone wall plaque to Dorothy Nethercootes, died 1603, a rectangular panel with settings for semi precious stones, surmounted by 2 obelisks and a circular panel of arms. At the west end of the north aisle are 2 painted benefaction boards dated 1786 and 1787.

Listing NGR: TF0076875324

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
196908
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Aug 2007
Reference: IOE01/16722/31
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr James Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].