RISEHOLME HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1064121
Date first listed:
31-Jan-1952
Statutory Address:
RISEHOLME HALL, RISEHOLME LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of RISEHOLME HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1064121 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2019 at 15:59:01.

Location

Statutory Address:
RISEHOLME HALL, RISEHOLME LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
West Lindsey (District Authority)
Parish:
Riseholme
National Grid Reference:
SK 98148 75613

Details

SK 97 NE RISEHOLME off RISEHOLME LANE

4/62 Riseholme Hall (Lindsey College of 31.1.52 Agriculture )

G.V. II

Former country house, now College of Agriculture. Early C18, refaced and extended in 1840 by William Railton in Italianate style, Ashlar and render with hipped slate roofs, 5 tall ashlar stacks, 2 wall and 3 ridge. The 2 storey ashlar main block has a plinth, first floor cill band, balustraded parapet, and rusticated quoins. The entrance front has 7 bays arranged 2:3:2, the central bays being slightly advanced. Before the front is a 3 bay porte-cochere with semi-circular arches with key and impost blocks, flanked by Doric columns in antis; the middle bay also has full Doric columns, all supporting a triglyph frieze and modillioned cornice. The central half glazed panelled door has a plain overlight with to either side 3 tall glazing bar sashes. To the first floor are 7 smaller glazing bar sashes. The central 3 bays at first floor level are divided by rusticated vertical strips and surmounted by a blank parapet with vermiculated panels. To the left is a lower 10 bay rendered service wing. The right hand side front consists of 6 bays of glazing bar sashes. The garden front is also arranged 2:3:2 with the middle 3 bays slightly adanced and bowed. Before the front is a 7 bay loggia supported on Doric columns, the third pairs of which, towards the centre, are in antis. The columns support a deep modillioned cornice with triglyph frieze. The central double glazed doors have an overlight and are flanked by 3 tall glazing bar sashes. To the first floor are 7 smaller glazing bar sashes. All windows have moulded architraves, and, except those beneath the loggia, cornices. To the right of the main block is a lower 3 bay range slightly recessed and rendered. This is the remnant of the early C18 house. It has an off centre C19 half glazed door with side lights and to the right 3 glazing bar sashes with thicker glazing bars and moulded architraves having raised keyblocks. To first floor are 3 smaller similar windows and above is a plain cornice and parapet. Interior. A large rectangular lightwell off the entrance hall with cast iron balcony to first floor, in vertical panels linked by intersecting circles. Above the modillioned cornice is a coved panelled ceiling with decorative pendants marking vertical pilasters which surround a raised rectangular light. The ceiling over has a highly decorative recessed oval panel with doves with laurel leaves in the corners. The stone dog leg staircase has outsize stone balusters and handrail. On the newel post is a wrought iron lampstand. The house was altered for the Bishops of Lincoln's country residence. The C18 house is shown in the Banks Collection, by J. C. Nattes, dated 1803, where the current service wing can be seen to the right of the main house.

Listing NGR: SK9814875613

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
196933
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Nattes, J C, Banks Collection
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 27 Lincolnshire,

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Dec 2002
Reference: IOE01/07719/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger H Mockford. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].