CHURCH OF ST PETER
Heritage Category: Listed Building
List Entry Number: 1064133
Date first listed: 16-Dec-1964
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1064133 .pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 25-Apr-2019 at 08:48:01.
Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
District: West Lindsey (District Authority)
National Grid Reference: SE 88754 00823
SE 80 SE SCOTTER CHURCH LANE
2/47 Church of St. Peter 16.12.64 I
Parish church. C12, C13, C15, C16, 1820, 1831, C20; coursed limestone rubble and plaster patches, lead roofs. Western tower, nave, north aisle, vestry, chancel, south porch. 3 stage tower with moulded plinth and string courses and added ashlar angled buttresses, battlemented parapet with 2 chute heads on north side. 2 centred arched C16 west door with double concave moulded reveals and hood mould. Door has original decorative stile and hinges, at the top of the door are floral patterns. To first floor a 3 light C16 west window having panel tracery and quatrefoils, double concave moulded reveals, hood mould and added label stops. Belfry stage has paired lights in each direction with cusped ogee heads, mouchettes, single chamfered reveals and hood moulds. Between first and second stages on the west and north sides are black enamelled clock faces. West and east walls of north aisle have restored C16 2 centred 3 light windows. C16 north aisle partly plastered of 5 structural bays defined by stepped buttresses, 4 centred arched door near west end with moulded reveals, hood mould and label stops. Further east are four 3 light windows with 4 centred arched heads with hood moulds and label stops. Nave clerestorey has 6 paired lights with trefoil heads in possibly earlier round headed openings; later plain parapet. Chancel north wall has C19 tall 2 light window which cuts an earlier blocked window to the east. East wall rebuilt 1820 with 2 light Y tracery window and ashlar quoins. South wall has late C13 2 light pointed window with quatrefoil single chamfer reveal and hood mould. Also a priest's door with triangular head, heavily restored, with hood mould and label stops. Quoin is dated 1831. Blocked window and door at west end of chancel. South wall of nave of several phases, the 2 C12 pilasters are apparently added. At east end is a single late C13 3 light Y tracery window with hood mould. Further west at a high level are five 3 light C16 windows with 4 centred arches and concave reveals. The easternmost of these windows cuts an earlier blocked window beneath. Immediately east of the porch is a second blocked opening with a 4 centred arched head,visible on the inside. The south porch is ashlar fronted and dated 1820, with iron gates ramped upwards towards the centre. Late C12 south doorway with flat headed doorway and weathered tympanum, single square order, a roll, a lesser roll and a chamfered, originally decorated, hood mould. Debased Corinthian nook shafts with moulded and chamfered imposts. Interior: C13 double chamfered tower arch, dying to reveals. 5 bay early C13 north nave arcade with impressive quatrefoil piers having annular and stiff leaf capitals and double chamfered arches with chamfered hood moulds and C19 label stops. 2 of the piers have statue brackets on their west sides, and 2 further statue brackets are in the aisle. The easternmost pair of arches are separated by a section of blank wall and the easternmost arch is lower than the rest, probably because it opened into a transept. Similar evidence is visible on the south side at the same point. At the east end of the nave is an angled doorway into the vestry, formerly a chapel, with above a blocked access to the rood loft. The chancel arch is C13, double chamfered, with corbels, probably recut in the C19. In south wall of the chancel is a C13 piscina with reset round head and an aumbry. On the north side is an ogee headed aumbry with a reset late medieval corbel with carved human head. Fittings include fine altar rails with turned balusters, c.1720, upper part of C15 rood screen with pierced panel decoration. The lower part is of C18 panels. C18 octagonal panelled pulpit. North side of nave has panelled box pews. Font is C15 octagonal type with shields and roses in the upper panels. At the west end of the nave is a nearly C19 wooden gallery with arched balustrade. Monuments: in the chancel north wall is the matrix of a late medieval brass. In the nave south wall is a fine inscribed and decorated brass plate to Sir Marmaduke Tyrwhitt, d.1599, showing the deceased and his wife praying before an altar with their children and armorials, contained in a panelled ashlar surround having traces of paint. On the east wall of the nave an unusual inscribed copper plate to Mrs Sarah Ashton, d.1739, with coat of arms in purbeck marble architrave supported on 2 brackets.
Listing NGR: SE8875700825
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
Legacy System number: 196857
Legacy System: LBS
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing