Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1064189

Date first listed: 30-Nov-1966



Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1064189 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 10:29:56.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: West Lindsey (District Authority)

Parish: Normanby By Spital

National Grid Reference: TF 00113 88110


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



6/30 Church of St Peter 30.11.66 I G.V.

Parish church, now vested in Redundant Churches Fund. C12, c.120O, C13, C14, C15, and restoration of 1890. Coursed limestone rubble, some banded with ironstone, ashlar dressings, lead roofs. Western tower, nave with clerestorey, north and south aisles, chancel. The unbuttressed C12 3 stage tower has a single weathered chevron string course and an embattled parapet with corner pinnacles and gargoyles. In the south side are 2 pieces of chevron decorated ashlar used in the fabric, one to the left of the round headed 1st floor window, the other near the angle with the south aisle. The west wall has a further fragment of C12 masonry and a C13 lancet. The paired belfry C13 lights have C15 hood moulds on south and west sides only. The north side has paired C14 belfry lights with ogee heads with hood moulds and one remaining human head label stop. In the north west angle of the nave is a large vertical stone used as a quoin, possibly a cross shaft. The west wall of the aisle has a small C12 round headed light. The north doorway is blocked, with chamfered surround and lintel. Above this are several large pieces of ashlar in a line. Further east are a pair of C13 lancets with simple chamfered surrounds. The east window of the aisle is also a lancet but recut in C19. Visible in this wall are the lower parts of an arch into a now vanished north chapel which was also entered by the blocked archway in the chancel. The east wall of the chancel is in banded ironstone and limestone and has a C19 2 light window. In the east walls of nave and tower the earlier steep pitches of the nave roof can be seen. At the east end the upstanding foundations of an apse can be seen. On the south side it is clear from the line of quoins that the chancel has been lengthened by about 2 feet. The south wall of the chancel has a C14 2 light window with trefoil heads to lights, and a cinquefoil over, under a hood mould. The south aisle was rebuilt in 1890 and has paired ogee headed lights to the east wall and to the south wall are reset C14 paired lights with ogee heads, chamfered square surround and hood mould. The south doorway is a C19 copy of a C14 pointed and moulded doorway. The cterestorey on north and south sides has 2 paired lights having trilobe heads and square chamfered surrounds. Interior; the 2 bay c.1200 north arcade has circular pier and responds, square spurred bases and abacii with elaborate stiff leaf capitals. The single chamfered round arches have rounded stops and chamfered hood moulds. The south arcade has circular pier, responds, bases and abacii with formal stiff leaf capitals supporting C13 double chamfered pointed arches. The tower arch is of c.1200 with semi-circular head, plastered reveals and ashlar chamfered imposts. The chancel arch has late C12 semi- circular imposts with stiff leaf capitals and a C13 double chamfered arch. To the south of the chancel arch in the east wall of the nave is a blocked squint to the south aisle chapel. 3 trusses in the south aisle are reused C16 but the remainder of the roofs date from C19. The altar table at the east end of the north aisle dates from C17 and has turned legs. On the west wall of the nave is a painted donations board dated 1767. All other fittings are of C19, including the cast iron tortoise stove from Halstead, Essex, and the 2 oil lamps on brass brackets in the aisles. The font is late C12 in the shape of a mortar with 4 vertical bands, one of which terminates in a shield; it stands on a C19 base.

Listing NGR: TF0011688110


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 196786

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing