This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1064228



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Bexley

District Type: London Borough


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-May-1978

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 198673

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


FROGNAL AVENUE 1. 5005 Sidcup Frognal House TQ 4670 18/1 30.5.78 II GV 2. Large country house, mainly C17 and C18 external elevations, but older fragments inside, the whole arranged around a courtyard. The south range contains remains of a C15 timber-framed building of 2-bay hall and storeyed wing at east end; C16 framed wing added at west end extending into west range; this now cased in brick of late C17, 2 main storeys of red brick, 11 sash windows with glazing bars, right hand pair of windows blind; brick band course, moulded cornice and ramped parapet; central doorway with cornice on carved console brackets. East range is founded on stone building of circa 1550; the stone foundation survives to water table level on the east front; this range has been rebuilt in C17 and early C18 and now has fine red brick front, 2 storeys and 11 segmental headed sash windows with glazing bars, the right hand 2 windows an addition at the time of the latest rebuilding; central doorway with flat hood on carved console brackets. North and west ranges are service quarters, the north range brick on stone foundations similar to the east range, the west range a C17 brick encasing of the Cl6 timber-framed added wing to original hall. Additions to north-west include a C19 single storey ballroom and a short Cl9 2 storey range joining main house to 5 window 2 storey C18 building in red brick. Internal courtyard shows stone building surviving to first floor level on east and north ranges, with fine galletted pointing; 4-centred stone head to cellar door in east range; 2 blocked windows with stone surrounds, one in upper wall of original kitchen, the other over original ground floor doorway, in north range; this doorway has pegged and chamfered wooden jambs. Staircase tower in south-east corner of courtyard contains early C18 staircase with fluted and turned balusters and carved tread-ends. The east range contains a blocked original C16 fireplace at south end and inserted C17 chimney stack in the centre; on the first floor is an 8 bay gallery with raised and fielded panelling and white marble bolection chimney piece between giant fluted Corinthian pilasters ; back stairs at north end of range are C17, originally lit by now blocked window with stone surround. North range contains 2 original blocked fireplaces, a window with original wood surround and ferramenta on north wall and 2 original timber-framed partitions. The west room on ground floor in the south range contains a bolection moulded marble chimney piece. House owned in early C16. by Markes Dyngley whose will (1550) refers to a new cellar and a new chamber; early C17 owner Sir William Watkins is said to have improved the house; subsequent owners included Sir Philip Warwick (ob 1683, see D.N.B.), the Tryon family and the Viscounts Sydney (first Viscount, ob. 1800, see D.N.B.); became a hospital in 1917; consent for use as offices given in 1980. Reference: Webb, History of Chislehurst, 1899.

Listing NGR: TQ4647070837

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Webb, , History of Chislehurst, (1899)

National Grid Reference: TQ 46470 70837


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1064228 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Sep-2017 at 02:28:56.

End of official listing