CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1064262
Date first listed:
07-Dec-1962
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, THE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1064262 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2019 at 23:19:15.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, THE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Leicestershire
District:
North West Leicestershire (District Authority)
Parish:
Long Whatton and Diseworth
National Grid Reference:
SK 48236 23320

Details

SK 42 SE; 5/170

LONG WHATTON, THE GREEN

Church of All Saints

07.12.62

GV

II*

Parish church. Late C12 - early C13 tower with C15-C16 upper stage. Remainder C14 in origin but much restored and partly rebuilt 1865-6. Rubble stone with slate roofs. Nave and aisles, south porch, tower at east end of south aisle, chancel, south vestry.

Tower is of three stages with slender clasping buttresses to lower stage, and battlemented parapet. Bell-chamber openings are C15-C16 of two lights with cusped tracery, depressed arches and carved heads to stops and apices of hoodmoulds. East and west openings are transomed. Middle stage has east, west and north windows of c1200, each with two slightly pointed lights in an unmoulded semicircular arch. Central mullions take form of octagonal piers with small capitals. West window is blocked. South side of tower has later 2-light traceried window to lower stage. Remainder of church is in Decorated style with C19 traceried windows, off-set buttresses, and moulded plinth to nave and south aisle. Chancel and vestry have battlemented parapets. West end of church has three steep gables, each with 3-light window, the nave also with door in moulded arch. North aisle originally of earlier C14 date than remainder, with three 2-light windows to north, 3-light east window, and small north door in chamfered arch. Later C14 south aisle has 2- and 3-light windows and larger south doors in completely restored moulded arch. South porch is gabled, with gabled buttresses, chamfered arch on semi-octagonal piers, and small cusped side lights. Chancel has 2-light north window, single cusped light to south, and large 3-light east window. Vestry is C19-C20 with traceried windows and south door.

INTERIOR: nave arcades have double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers. North arcade, of five bays, has shorter arches and capitals of different design to those of taller 3-bay south arcade. C19 roofs, the nave with C19 clerestory of 2-light traceried dormer windows. Aisles each have a piscina, that to south with cusped ogee arch. Tower has lancet windows to lower and middle stages of west wall, and heavy double-chamfered arch to nave. Similar chancel arch with piscina and sedilia. FITTINGS; restored circular C12 font with frieze of diagonally crossed squares, in baptistery surrounded by traceried wooden screens of 1929. More traceried wooden screens at east end of north aisle, much restored but with some C15-C16 fragments. Chancel screens of similar date were brought from Colston Bassett, Notts, in 1894. Good pulpit of 1613 with carved arcaded panels, brought from Shefford, Berks 1897. Chair dated 1W 1655. Late C19-C20 glass. MONUMENTS: to Mary Dawson 1779, in form of large white marble urn with flame finial and draped inscriptions, on marble pedestal with panels commemorating children. Other marble wall tablets, including one to Abigail Smith 1695.

Listing NGR: SK4823623320

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
358217
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Sep 2002
Reference: IOE01/07601/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Merryweather. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].