TF 05 NE
MAIN STREET(south side)Church of St Clement
Parish Church.C12,C13,C15.Refitted 1741.Restored 1904.Coursed limestone rubble with ashlar dressings.Lead nave roof,and plain tile aisle and chancel roofs.Ashlar coped gables with kneelers and cross finials.West tower,nave with clerestory and north aisle,and chancel with north chantry chapel,now vestry.Remarkably narrow west tower,of three stages, set back into the nave.West face has single small chamfered pointed lancet with above a small mandala-shaped chamfered window.Each face has a single shafted pointed bell opening,above a band,with a corbel table above,topped by an octagonal crocketed spire with two sets of lucarnes and four crocketed corner pinnacles.The west end of the north aisle has a four-centred arched doorway,with a chamfered quatrefoil window above.The north aisle has a single shafted doorway with a segment head and plank door,and to the left a single three-light flat headed window with panel tracery in a deeply chamfered surround. The clerestory has four,three-light windows on the north and south sides,each in a four-centred,chamfered arched surround with cusped lights.Above a band with gargoyles and battlements with corner pinnacles.The former chantry chapel is also topped with battlements and the west wall has a single four-centred arched doorway.The north wall is blank.The east wall has a large two-light chamfered mullion window.The chancel has a chamfered ashlar plinth and eaves,the east wall has three pointed lancets,the centre one taller,in chamfered surrounds and a moulded cill band with animal stops.The south wall has three irregularly placed chamfered lancets,and two small pieces of interlace buried in the walling.The nave south wall,topped by clerestory windows,is much disturbed.To the east a single two-light pointed arch window with Y-tracery,then a buttress with set-offs,then a slightly projecting heavily restored doorway.This doorway has a double pointed arched surround,the outer arch deeply moulded with single shafts and plain capitals,the inner arch chamfered and decorated with dogtooth.To the west a narrow buttress,then a single chamfered lancet,and single chamfered fixed light.Interior:four bay,double chamfered,pointed arched north arcade with three piers,the first round,the second a keeled quatrefoil,and the third,the same though with thin diagonal shafts,each with moulded capitals and bases.The responds are corbelled.Heavily restored double chamfered chancel arch with octagonal responds.Chamfered,pointed tower arch with coved impost blocks,and at the base of the south side,a single shaft two metres high with moulded capital and base.Small wooden screen.Over a doorway in the tower a C12 tympanum,probably removed from the north door,decorated with a central cross and other stylised motifs.Double chamfered chancel arch.Octagonal C15 ashlar font with eight foliate panels.Nave roof largely C15,restored 1904.Remaining roofsClg.Internal wooden porch.Wooden pulpit,pews and choir stalls.In the chancel a large ornate alabaster wall tablet to Herbert i:Iacl(inder and family, who largely paid for the 1904 restoration.Hatchment bearing the arms of George II,commandment tables,creed and lord's prayer boards,from the 1741 refitting,now in the north aisle,originally placed over the chancel arch.
Listing NGR: TF0840056405