CAMDEN PLACE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1064325

Date first listed: 25-Aug-1954

Statutory Address: CAMDEN PLACE, CAMDEN PARK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CAMDEN PLACE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1064325 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 08:37:31.

Location

Statutory Address: CAMDEN PLACE, CAMDEN PARK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Bromley (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 43741 70042

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN PARK ROAD, CHISLEHURST 1. 4407 Camden Place (Chislehurst Golf Club House) TQ 47 SW 6/64 25.8.54.

II*

2. The Antiquary, William Camden, had a house here from 1609 until his death in 1623. The first Earl Camden, who was Lord Chancellor from 1766-1770 but is better known as Lord Chief Justice (Sir Charles) Pratt, also had a house here from 1760-1805. This house was largely rebuilt in C18 style, by N W J Strode in 1860, though some portions of it survive, particlarly the curved bay to the North West. The house was leased to the Emperor, Napoleon III and the Empress Eugenie in September 1870. The Emperor died here on 9 January 1873. The Empress continued to occupy the house until after the Prince Imperial's death in 1879 but moved to Farnborough, Hants., in 1883 as soon as the house which she built for herself there was completed. The house is built of yellow brick with red brick window dressings and stringcourse. The main portion has 3 storeys and 7 windows. The outer window bays are flanked by pilasters rising the whole height of the building of yellow brick edged with red. The centre window bay projects with a curved pediment and containing a cartouche. Its ground and first floors project still further, the portions at the sides forming a pilaster effect, with a balcony above the doorway supported on brackets and a clock above the first floor surmounted by a panel of baroque sculpture. Balustraded parapet with solid portions above the pilasters surmounted by vases. French windows on ground and first floor. Sash windows on second floor. Glazing bars intact. On each side of the main portion is a wing on ground floor only with red brick quoins, a balustraded parapet with ball caps and a large tripartite window. The centre portion of each is surmounted by a carved panel and a curved pediment. Listed principally for historical reasons. Good interiors include entrance hall, oval card room, drawing room, dining room (said to be C18 French importation) and several other smaller rooms on the ground floor. Service wing to north.

Listing NGR: TQ4374170042

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 358367

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing