CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1064345
Date first listed:
25-Aug-1954
Date of most recent amendment:
29-Jun-1973
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH ROW

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1064345.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Jul-2020 at 03:17:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH ROW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Bromley (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 44417 69919

Details

CHURCH ROW, CHISLEHURST 1. 4407 Church of St Nicholas (formerly listed under Church Lane) TQ 46 NW 5/66 25.8.54 B the Grade shall be amended to Grade II* (star) and the description shall be amended to read as follows:

Parish church. c.1460, incorporating earlier work; restored 1557, enlarged with some rebuilding in 1849 by Benjamin Ferry, 1858 by Wollaston, 1896 by Bodley and Garner. Flint rubble with stone dressings; nave roof tiled, north aisle roof of slate. Nave with aisles, chancel with north vestry; tower over west bay of north aisle, c.1460, with tall, shingled broach spire rebuilt by Wollaston in 1858. South aisle and vestry added by Ferrey in Perpendicular style; he also worked on the chancel, which was then enlarged by Bodley and Garner with new east end; their's the partially infilled three-light traceried east-window and the more ornamental stone dressings of the east wall. Ferrey's aisle tracery simpler: paired cusped lights under hood moulds. INTERIOR: Opening high on west wall of nave is a remnant of the original small Saxon church. Four-bay arcade on quatrefoil piers. Arches with two chamfers, tower arches with three; all C15. Door to tower dated 1586. Braced collar rafter roof. Original Perpendicular screens separate nave from chancel and north aisle. Chancel refitted by Bodley and Garner with painted wagon roof, and reredos - with alabasters - of 1896. Sanctuary paving 1896 by Farmer and Brindley, and sanctuary glass of same date by Burlison and Grylls. One south window 1900 by Kempe. Organ case 1888. Font: Norman, with square, acaded bowl on five shafts. Many fine monuments from C16 to C19, especially Walsingham tomb (1550) and Warwick cartouche (1682).

------------------------------------

CHURCH ROW, CHISLEHURST 1. 4407 Church of St Nicholas (Formerly Listed under Church Lane) TQ 46 W 5/66 25.8.54. B

2. Flint, rubble with stone dressings restored in 1557. North-West Tower, nave with aisles, chancel and vestry to North of chancel. The South aisle and vestry added in 1849, when file chancel was restored by Bodley, Shingled broached spire. Interior has braced collar rafter roof and wagon roof in chancel. Monuments. Norman font. Door under tower dated 1586.

Listing NGR: TQ4441769919

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
358409
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 17 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01273/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Michael Philpot. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].