THE UPPER AND LOWER TERRACE OF THE CRYSTAL PALACE GARDENS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1064352
Date first listed:
01-Sep-1953
Date of most recent amendment:
29-Jun-1973
Statutory Address:
THE UPPER AND LOWER TERRACE OF THE CRYSTAL PALACE GARDENS, CRYSTAL PALACE PARK SE19

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE UPPER AND LOWER TERRACE OF THE CRYSTAL PALACE GARDENS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1064352.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2019 at 04:33:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE UPPER AND LOWER TERRACE OF THE CRYSTAL PALACE GARDENS, CRYSTAL PALACE PARK SE19

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Bromley (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 34020 71113

Details

CRYSTAL PALACE PARK, PENGE, SE19 1. 4407 The Upper and Lower Terrace of the Crystal Palace Gardens (Formerly Listed under Crystal Palace Parade) TQ 37 SW 4/208 1.9.53.

II

2. The Crystal Palace, designed by Sir Joseph Paxton for the Great Exhibition of 1851 in Hyde Park, was afterwards taken down and re-erected here in 1852-4 on the site of Penge Place. The building itself was burned down in 1936, but the 2 terraces of the formal garden in front of it survive. They were designed by Paxton at the time of the re-erection. Each terrace consists of a series of round-headed arches containing semi-circular semi- domed niches arranged in groups of 3 with taller pilasters between the groups carried up into the balustrade above which is of similar pattern of narrow round-headed arches, the taller pilasters topped by vases or statues. Flights of steps lead down from each terrace at intervals. The space between the terraces was laid out with fountains and statues.

Listing NGR: TQ3402071113

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
358428
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01142/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert Smedley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].