CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1064403
Date first listed:
07-Feb-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, MAIN ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1064403.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 15-Aug-2020 at 15:09:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE, MAIN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Lincolnshire
District:
South Holland (District Authority)
Parish:
Surfleet
National Grid Reference:
TF 25136 28230

Details

SURFLEET MAIN ROAD TF 22 NE (east side) 8/115 Church of St. Lawrence 7.2.67 I Parish church. C13, C14, C15, restored 1830 and 1900-1908. Coursed and squared limestone rubble, lead and plain tiled roofs. Western tower with spire, clerestoried nave, aisles, chancel, south porch. Leaning 3 stage C14 tower with stepped angle buttresses, battlemented parapet. Recessed spire with one set of lucarnes in the 4 principal directions. To the belfry stage are 2 light bell openings with trefoil heads to the lights and quatrefoil over, in deeply moulded pointed surround. Below an ogee headed cusped lancet. The west door is pointed and continuously moulded. Above is a 2 light window with reticulated tracery. The battlemented north aisle has a ballflower frieze, and stepped buttresses with crocketed pinnacles. 4 large, one at each end and 2 to the north, 4 light Perpendicular windows with panel tracery and a small pointed doorway in continuously moulded surround. Battlemented nave clerestory with 3 three light windows with chamfered 4 centred surrounds. Lead rainwater hoppers dated 1830. Beyond to the east a blocked nave arch contains a further 4 light Perpendicular window. Collyweston tiled chancel has a 3 light window with hollow chamfered rectangular surround and moulded mullions. In the east end a reset 3 light C15 window. In the south wall a pointed doorway with rectangular surround and hood, and a 3 light window matching that on the north. The south aisle has a tall 3 light early C15 window with cusped heads to the lights. On the south side 3 similar windows with moulded reveals and 4 centred head, and one similar to the west. Gabled south porch, with embattled parapet with pinnacles. C13 dogtooth moulded pointed outer arch with circular responds and annular capitals. The inner doorway is C14, continuously moulded with hollow chamfer and filleted hood. Reset C12 corbels. Interior. C14 4 bay nave arcades, with C13 bases to piers, the north arcade is blocked at the easternment bay. Quatrefoil piers with annular capitals and double roll moulded arches. The westernmost piers have been buttressed to prevent the nave from moving further westwards. Tall narrow C14 tower arch with triple chamfered surround, filleted responds and annular capitals. The triangular corbels remain for an earlier nave roof. The present tie beam roof is dated 1830. Chancel arch is double chamfered with circular responds and demi shafts. The chancel has been shortened and contains reset medieval glass in the south side. Fittings. C17 pulpit, octagonal, panelled oak sides with chip carved paterae. Early C15 octagonal font with quatrelobes with shields and fleurons to sides, buttressed stem with niches and further quatrelobes. Royal Arms and a hatchment in the south aisle. Monuments. In chancel a C14 full length effigy, 1313-1347, of Sir Hugh de Cressy, a knight in chain mail and surcoat, head on lozenge shaped cushion, feet on a lion, covered by a cusped canopy now set in the east wall. On the north wall a marble plaque to Henry Heron, d.l730, with an open pediment and cherub. In the south aisle are 2 C18 monuments, to Everard Buckworth d.1751 and 1792, marble wall monuments with Doric pilasters, urns and armorial escutcheons.

Listing NGR: TF2513328230

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
198229
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jul 2004
Reference: IOE01/11174/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].