CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, MAIN STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1064475.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 22-Apr-2021 at 15:55:02.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, MAIN STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- South Holland (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- TF 29248 25153
WESTON MAIN STREET
TF 22 NE (north-west side)
4/128 Church of St. Mary 7.2.67 G.V. I
Parish church. 1170, mid C14, restored by G. G. Scott in 1858- 67, and J. L. Pearson in 1885-6. Limestone ashlar and rubble, some red brick patching. Lead roofs of 1885, with stone coped gables with cross finials and stone corbel tables. Nave with west tower, north and south aisles with south porch, clerestory, north and south transepts and chancel. Late C15 3 stage west tower with moulded plinth and string course, and 4 stage angle buttresses, the second stage with ornate gablets, and north-east polygonal stair turret with 3 slit lights and parapet. Triangular headed west doorway with continuously moulded surround, hood mould and double plank doors. Large pointed window above with 4 pointed lights and castellated transom with lower semi-circular headed lights, panel tracery with castellations and bowtell moulded surround. Bell openings on all 4 sides, each pointed, with bowtell moulded surround, 2 semi- circular headed, cusped lights, mouchettes and hood moulds. Moulded eaves above with battlements and ornate corner pinnacles. North aisle with regularly placed 2 stage buttresses, and blocked, pointed west opening with 3 corbels above. North side with mid C14 doorway with pointed head, continuously moulded surround, hood mould and double plank doors. 2 windows to left with pointed heads and hood moulds; to right, 2 semi-circular headed lights with early flowing tracery; to the left, 2 ogee headed lights with mouchettes. North transept projects to east, restored by Scott in 1858-67. 2 stage angle buttresses flank pointed north window with 3 pointed, cusped lights, intersecting geometric tracery, sill band and hood mould. Similar window in east side. Clerestory of c.1170, heavily restored by Pearson in 1885, with 4 semi-circular roll moulded openings contaning inner lancets. Fifth opening broken into by transept roof. North side of chancel of c.1175 with 3 tall lancets alternating with 2 stage buttresses. Roll moulded sill band beneath. Moulded eaves with small sculptured motifs. East end with 3 lancets alternating with 4 slender 2 stage buttresses, with quatrefoil above with roll moulded surround. South side of chancel with 3 lancets alternating with 4 two stage buttresses, and with doorway to left with semi-circular roll moulded head, hood mould and double plank doors. Narrow 2 light tall mullion window to left. East side of south transept, restored by Scott in 1858-67, with pointed window with 3 trefoil headed lights, C19 geometric tradcery, hood mould and head label stops. Monument to Thomas Lupton, died 1716, attached to left, with pilasters, segmental pediment and cherubs. South end with sill band and pointed window with 4 cusped, ogee headed lights, geometrical C19 tracery and C14 hood mould with lion label stops. Cornice above, originally surmounting sundial, now gone. South side of aisle with 2 pointed C19 windows, each with 2 ogee headed, cusped lights, mouchette, hood mould and head label stops. Gabled late C12 porch beyond to left with pointed chamfered head, triple shafts with moulded capitals and small oculus above. Porch interior with flanking stone benches surmounted by blind arcade of 4 pointed arches on each side, supported on free standing shafts with crocket capitals. South doorway with pointed, roll moulded head with chamfered inner order, and single shafts with stiff leaf capitals. 5 C19 Purbeck marble gravestones set in floor. Pointed window to left of porch and another in west end of south aisle, both with 2 ogee headed, cusped lights, mouchette, hood mould and fine C14 label stop busts. Clerestory of c.1170 heavily restored by Pearson with 3 roll moulded windows to left, with paired shafts and crocket capitals. 2 C15 trefoil headed windows to right. Interior C15 pointed tower arch with double chamfered head with hood mould, moulded, filleted jambs with castellated capitals. Tower interior with fragmentary springers and wall ribs of lierne vault no longer extant, and projecting gargoyles to north east and south east. 5 bay north and south late C12 arcades with the north-west bay blocked; round piers with detached shafts, some of which are replacements, and all with crocket or incipiant stiff leaf capitals; pointed heads with outer roll moulded order and inner chamfered order. North aisle leads into north transept through askew pointed, double chamfered archway. West end of north aisle with pointed, blocked doorway. South aisle leads into south transept through double chamfered, pointed arch. Early C13 pointed chancel arch with richly moulded head and rectangular responds with 3 detached shafts with stiff leaf capitals and hood mould. Pointed opening above. Chancel articulated to north and south with 3 pointed wall recesses with slender responds with beaded, moulded capitals and hood moulds. East window with nook shafts, moulded capitals and hood mould. Altar flanked by single rectangular aumbrys. South wall with small trefoil headed piscina. C11 inscribed coffin lid restored in C20. Part of octagonal base of cross shaft. C19 ornate pulpit. C20 communion rail and reredos. Drum font of c.1200 with semi-circular shafts with moulded capitals supporting it, and 8 sides of drum articulated by 8 attached shafts. Section of ornate C17 panelling to north-west of nave. Monuments include: one in ashlar and marble with segmental open pediment with urn, hand, draperies, tassles and ornate apron, to John Morton, died 1720. Gravetone to Willyam Whettaker, died 1640. Grey-and white marble monument to Peregrine Emmitt Emmitt, died 1836; a pair of white and grey marble monuments to William and Elizabeth Emmitt, died 1832 and 1831, respectively. Ashlar pedimented monument with scrolled architrave and cherub, to Elizabeth Watson, died 1765. Gravestones to John Bennington, died 1625; and Joseph and Joseph Allcock, died 1746 and 1771 respectively. Several early C19 black marble gravestones in central aisle.
Listing NGR: TF2924725164
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing