CROSS KEYS BRIDGE (FORMERLY INCLUDING HYDRAULIC ENGINE HOUSE)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1064536

Date first listed: 11-Jan-1980

Statutory Address: CROSS KEYS BRIDGE (FORMERLY INCLUDING HYDRAULIC ENGINE HOUSE)

Map

Ordnance survey map of CROSS KEYS BRIDGE (FORMERLY INCLUDING HYDRAULIC ENGINE HOUSE)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1064536 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 14:54:20.

Location

Statutory Address: CROSS KEYS BRIDGE (FORMERLY INCLUDING HYDRAULIC ENGINE HOUSE)

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lincolnshire

District: South Holland (District Authority)

Parish: Sutton Bridge

National Park: N/A

National Grid Reference: TF 48217 21030

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SUTTON BRIDGE RIVER NENE TF 42 SE 5/84 Cross Keys Bridge (formerly including Hydraulic Engine House) 11/1/80 G.V. II*

Road and rail hydraulic swing bridge, now road bridge. Opened 1897, erected by A. Handyside & Co. Ltd. Steel, iron and wood. The-swing span has 3 parallel bowstring braced girders carried on a pivot pier. There are 2 fixed spans of steel plate girders at the east end. Bridge topped with wooden podium surmounted by hexgonal wood and glazed viewing chamber. Plaque to north west inscribed 'Made and erected by A. Handyside & Co. Ltd. Derby and London 1897. Hydraulic machinery by Sir W. G. Armstrong, Whitworth & Co. Ltd. Steel for girders made by the Staffordshire Steel Co., Bilston.' The first bridge of 1830/1 designed by Rennie was timber with cast iron opening spans. This bridge replaces the second bridge of 1850, designed by Stephenson, which was used for rail traffic when the line from Spalding to Sutton Bridge was extended to King's Lynn in 1866. The bridge is connected underground to The Engine House, Sutton Bridge, item 5/85.

Listing NGR: TF4821721030

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 197930

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing