Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST EDMUND
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1064538.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 21:52:35.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Holland (District Authority)
Sutton St. Edmund
National Grid Reference:
TF 36820 13228


SUTTON ST. EDMUND BROADGATE ROAD TF 31 SE (west side) 9/87 Church of St. Edmund 30.6.66 II

Parish church. Rebuilt 1795 with some mid C19 alterations and extensions, 1987 extension. Red brick with ashlar dressings. Concrete tile roof to all but the tower which is lead. Pediment formed by ashlar bands in the west nave. Dentil eaves and continuous ashlar impost band to all but the tower. Set on an ashlar plinth. Tower, nave, south porch, vestry, polygonal chancel. Tower of 2 stages with ashlar band and set on an ashlar plinth. Topped with C20 planked rectangular lantern with moulded lead roof and single round arched louvred opening to each side. West side of tower with round arched doorway with keystone and impost stones. Panelled door. Over the band is a single blocked segmental arched window opening. North and south sides with blind round archways with keystone and impost stones, the south side with some glazing. The north side contanined within the projecting C20 vestry. Over the band are single circular lights, being blocked to the north and with glazing to the south. The north nave has 3 round arched windows with lead glazing bars and keystones. North chancel has a single blind round arched recessed panel with keystone. The east side has a single round arched window with flush ashlar quoin surround and the southside a single round arched casement with lead glazing bars and keystone. To the left is a segmental arched blocked doorway. The south nave has 3 round arched C19 windows with ashlar plate tracery, each window with 2 pointed arched lights. Continuous moulded brick hood mould. To the left is the slightly projecting C19 porch with ashlar coped gable and single cross finial. 2 colonnettes with decorative capitals support a moulded brick arch. Inner moulded pointed arched doorway with plank door and ashlar tympanum. Interior. Panelled west gallery supported on single pair of rectangular piers, dentil cornice. Segmental arched doorway to the tower with similar smaller doorway to the right. Basket arched tower arch. Panelled box pews. Tower with staircase to gallery with turned newel. Memorials include: to Francis Taylor, 1818, this is surmounted by a broken pediment with urn. That to Jane Taylor, 1823, is flanked by tapering pilasters and topped with a decorated urn. Joseph Taylor, 1816, this is flanked by pilasters and is topped with a sarcophagus. Benjamin Taylor, 1803, the apron is decorated with brackets and a shield. Michael Cole, 1812, is in the form of a sarcophagus topped with an urn. Adlard Squire Stukeley, 1768, this is surmounted by a sarcophagus. That to Thomas Griffin is topped with a broken pediment with urn.

Listing NGR: TF3682013228


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Nov 2006
Reference: IOE01/15980/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter D. Dewar. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].