CHURCH OF ST MARY
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, MARKET PLACE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1064562.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 16-Jan-2021 at 00:50:44.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST MARY, MARKET PLACE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- South Holland (District Authority)
- Long Sutton
- National Grid Reference:
- TF 43228 22874
LONG SUTTON MARKET PLACE
12/39 Church of St. Mary
Parish church. Late C12, early C13, partly rebuilt C14, C15, C18, early and late C19 and C20 restorations. Ashlar, some coursed rubble. Lead roofs, the north porch with plain tiles. Embattled nave with single ridge corsses and single corner crocketed pinnacles to east and west ends. South porch also embattled. Chancel with north and south parapets. Remainder with coped gables. Single stack to rear of south porch. South west tower, nave, aisles, north and south porches, vestry and chancel. Early C13 south west tower detached from the main body of the church until the aisles were widened, topped with early C13 herringbone lead covered timber spire. Tower of 3 stages with bands and set on a plinth which is chamfered in parts. Stepped angle buttresses leading to clasping octagonal buttresses at the third stage and terminating in small herringbone lead spires topped with single orbs. Corbel table extending around buttresses. The lower 2 stages of the butttresses with nook shafts apart from the south west buttress which is a stair turret. 4 sides of the tower with large pointed, stepped arches, formerly open but now blocked with rubble, responds of circular columns with moulded capitals, hood moulds over. The west side now contains a single C20 window with 2 arched and cusped lights. Over is a single small rectangular light. The north side with a blocked pointed chamfered arched doorway, the east side has a single decorative wall memorial surmounted by a single blocked rectangular light and the south side a C19 pointed moulded arched doorway with hood mould and label stops, over is a single small rectangular light and above is a sundial. The second stage has to each side a blind arcade of 5 pointed arches with circular colonnettes, moulded capitals and continuous hood moulds. The second left and right arches now louvred openings. Above, to each side of the bell chamber is a single detached Y traceried opening behind which is a further 3 light opening with intersecting tracery, each light flanked by single colonnette with moulded capital. Either side are single blind pointed arches with single similar arches to each face of the buttress. East and west sides of the tower with single clock faces. The west wall of the south aisle is set on a moulded plinth and has a single restored C14 arched 4 light window with cusped flowing tracery, hood mould and continuous sill band. To the left is the west nave wall with 2 C12 flat buttresses and central moulded arched doorway with blind traceried double doors, hood mould and worn human head label stops. To the right are the remains of 3 memorials. Over is a large C19 arched 5 light window with cusped flowing tracery, hood mould, C14 human head label stops and continuous sill band. Above is a single arched and cusped niche. The west and north walls of the north aisle are set on a moulded plinth, the west wall has a single restored C15 arched 5 light window with cusped panel tracery, hood mould and continuous sill band, which extends around the north and east fronts. The buttressed north wall, with decorative blind cusped panels to the western-most buttress, has 2 restored C15 arched 3 light windows with cusped panel tracery and hood moulds. To the left is the angle buttressed late C14 porch rebuilt 1873 with single ridge cross. Moulded arched entrance, the inner order supported on colonnettes with moulded capitals. Single cusped niche over. The west and east walls with single pair of C20 arched and cusped lights with continuous hood mould and label stops. Inner ogee arched doorway with frieze of quatrefoils to soffit. Rectangular hood mould with label stops, the spandrel decorated with panels of blind tracery. To the left of the porch are 7 similar restored C15 3 light windows withg hood moulds. The east wall has a single C19 arched 4 light window with cusped tracery, hood mould and label stops. C18 clerestory of 8 bays with 6 restored 3 light four-centred arched windows with cusped panel tracery, the outer single bays blind. Single triangular pilaster strips between each bay. The east wall of the nave with evidence of former chancel roof. The north wall of the chancel has a single storey projecting bay with doorway with plank door under C19 decorative flat arch. Over is a single C15 arched 3 light window with cusped panel tracery. Clasping the north east corner is the C14 polygonal monk's cell or vestry with conical stone slate roof, set on a chamfered and moulded plinth and of 2 stages, the upper stage slightly set back and with chamfered band. The east side has a decorative memorial, the south side a single window with 2 arched and cusped lights under a flat arch, hood mould and label stops. Over is a single small arched and cusped light under a flat arch. The east chancel is set on a moulded plinth and has angle buttresses to the south with some decoration. Single large arched C19 5 light window with cusped tracery, C14 ball flower surround, hood mould and worn label stops. The south chancel has a single restored C15 arched window with 3 lights above and below a single transom, cusped panel tracery, hood mould and label stops. The south aisle is buttressed and set on a moulded plinth, the east wall with single C19 arched 4 light window with cusped tracery, hood mould, label stops and continuous stepped sill band. The south wall with continuous sill band broken by the porch has 7 arched restored C14 windows each with 3 lights above and below a single transom, cusped tracery, hood mould and worn human head label stops. To the left is the C15 angle buttressed 2 storey porch, the parvise restored 1873, set on to a moulded plinth. Buttresses containing single niches with hood moulds and finials to the south. Moulded pointed arched entrance with blind traceried spandrels, continuous stepped hood mould forming a sill band to the flanking blind traceried panels. Over is a frieze of blind trefoil arches, each arch containing a shield, over the frieze is a band and above a single C19 arched window with 3 arched and cusped lights, hood mould and label stops. Either side are single chamfered arched niches with decorative hood moulds and finials, under each niche is a carved coat of arms. The east wall has a single small arched window with 2 arched and cusped lights, hood mould and label stops. To the right is the polygonal stair turret, the top stage with single arched and cusped light under a flat arch to each face. The west side has single similar 2 light windows on each floor. Over the lower window is a single small rectangular opening. Interior with stone benches. 3 slim colonnettes on each side support the 2 bay vault of tierceron stars with bosses. East side with moulded arch to stair turret. Moulded arched early C14 south doorway with single order of colonnettes and remains of stiff leaf capitals. Hood mould and human head label stops. To the left is a fragment of lead detailing the 1802/3 repairs to the spire. To the left, in the aisle, are 2 C14 windows each of 3 lights with reticulated tracery and hood mould. Interior. 7 bay late C12 nave arcades with round chamfered and stepped arches. Circular columns, apart from the central 2 to each side which are octagonal, all have nicked square abaci with scalloped capitals. Triple shafted responds with scalloped capitals. Continuous hood mould to nave side and continuous band over. Single human head corbel to south aisle. Above is the former late C12 clerestory now blind triforium. Having 7 round arched single splay openings flanked by single colonnettes with scalloped capitals, hood moulds and continuous impost band. The opening second from the east on the south side has been enlarged. The aisle sides with blind arcading of round arches supported on colonnettes with scalloped capitals. Continuous hood mould. Heightened chamfered and stepped chancel arch with remains of triple responds with scalloped capitals. 2 bay late C15 chancel/aisles arcades with moulded arches, octagonal columns and responds and moulded capitals. The west respond on the north side partly C12 being circular to lower portion. Remains of C12 corbel table to north aisle side. East window with C14 surround of 2 orders of ball flower, hood mould and human head label stops. North wall with blocked chamfered arched doorway, to the left is a single similar blocked doorway with single remaining stylised foliate carved capital. Over to the right is a small rectangular squint from the vestry. North wall off north aisle with doorway to C14 vestry. Ground floor vaulted roof with single central shield set into a quatrefoil in turn set into a roundel, the 8 radiating ribs being hollow chamfered. 4 centred arch leading to spiral staircase. South chancel aisle with C14 trefoil arched piscina and to the right of the east window a large rectangular niche. To the right of the south door and continuing to the west wall of the south aisle is a continuous sill band, corresponding band to north aisle. South doorway with large rectangular hood mould with human head label stops. North doorway with similar damaged hood mould. West window of nave with sill band. North east nave with small pointed arched rood loft doorway and single small quatrefoil light over. C19 reredos and tripartite sedilia. C12 ashlar font with tapering octagonal bowl. C19 pulpit. Fine C15 brass lectern in form of an eagle. C17 oak table. C17 parish chest. Late C17 reredos now screen in north aisle, panelled with fluted Corinthian pilasters and some decorative carving. North aisle with former turned C18 communioin rails. Oak poor box dated 1712. Restored nave roof. The chancel hammer beamed roof restored 1866 with moulded and carved beams is supported on carved angels. South aisle with some moulded roof beams. North aisle with chamfered roof beams. Memorials. East wall of south aisle to Mary Scrope 1793, the inscription is surmounted by a decorative carved panel and urn. South wall with cinquefoil arched tomb recess, the spandrels decorated with dragons. 2 early C19 memorials and C17 ashlar memorial with illegible inscription, decorated with a carved figure, skeleton, bell and crossed swords. The floor with evidence of former C15 brass figure. North aisle with 4 C18 memorials, that to Amy Delamore, 1735, is decorated with fluted pilasters and a pediment, another is decorated with cherubs and a broken pediment. Further memorial in the clerestory. Several C17 and C18 floor slabs. 2 late C19 boards topped with pediments ansd detailing 'Long Sutton Charity Lands'. A number of windows with some C15 coloured glass.
Listing NGR: TF4322722875
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing