CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS BY THE TOWER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1064671
Date first listed:
04-Jan-1950
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS BY THE TOWER, BYWARD STREET EC3
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS BY THE TOWER, GREAT TOWER STREET EC3
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS BY THE TOWER, TOWER HILL EC3

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS BY THE TOWER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1064671.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2019 at 00:42:38.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS BY THE TOWER, BYWARD STREET EC3
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS BY THE TOWER, GREAT TOWER STREET EC3
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL HALLOWS BY THE TOWER, TOWER HILL EC3

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
City and County of the City of London (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 33385 80687

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 26/02/2013

TQ 3380 NW 17/474 5002 4.1.50.

GREAT TOWER STREET EC3 (North Side) Church of All Hallows by the Tower

(Formerly listed as Church of All Hallows, Barking by the Tower)

I

Saxon and medieval building with brick tower of 1658 to 9. Burnt in World War II. Arcades, centre of east end, roof and steeple rebuilt to new design by Seeley and Paget. Old walls, largely refaced, are of squared rubble in C15 style. 2 storeyed north porch and vestry, late Cl9 or early C20 in ornamental gothic style. 3 storeyed, C20 south-west wing of brick and stone. Plain tower of red brick with wooden, modillion cornice and elaborate, copper covered steeple rising through circular balustrade of Portland stone. Crypt under south-east chapel. Some fittings from old church survive including canopied stone monument to Sir John Cooke, 1477, and a number of medieval brasses. Also very fine late C17 font cover, sword rests, stair balustrade etc. In crypt are remains of later C2 or C3. Roman house including part of a corridor and adjacent rooms. Ragstone walls, half timbered partitions and tessellated floor (preserved below tower) (358 and 359). Later C7 or C8. Aisleless church built of reused Roman material and incorporated in the early medieval church. Arched doorway with Roman brick drawings, probably to former porticus, at west end of church.



Listing NGR: TQ3338580687

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
199494
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 05 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/04827/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alan Simpson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].