HOLCOMBE HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1064845

Date first listed: 03-Feb-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 28-Sep-1995

Statutory Address: HOLCOMBE HOUSE, THE RIDGEWAY NW7

Map

Ordnance survey map of HOLCOMBE HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1064845 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jan-2019 at 10:58:40.

Location

Statutory Address: HOLCOMBE HOUSE, THE RIDGEWAY NW7

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Barnet (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 22158 93075

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5004 THE RIDGEWAY (south-west side) NW7

Holcombe House TQ 2293 14/11 3.2.50

II*

Villa, c.1775-8 for Sir John Anderson, a City of London merchant and Lord Mayor in 1797, by John Johnson, architect. Brick faced with stucco. Two storeys. Entrance front three bays wide with central entrance defined by semi-circular porch. Rusticated ground floor with semi-circular openings either side of the entrance with a plain panel and flat-arched window set within. Three pairs of fluted pilasters above dividing three flat-arched windows; shallow modillion cornice and balustraded parapet. Garden front: 2-storey plus lower ground floor; 5 bays. Central ground floor window now used as a door. Flat-arched windows throughout, taller on the ground floor. Balustraded parapet broken by 3 flat topped dormers. INTERIOR: Elliptical entrance hall possesses cantilevered staircase with fine wrought iron 'S'scroll balustrade and moulded wooden handrail. There is fine Adamesque plasterwork in the former dining room with Grecian-style stucco figures within almond-shaped frames, and in the library. HISTORY. In 1866 the house and grounds were acquired by Herbert Vaughn, later Archbishop of Westminster, who established a missionary college there. The house was passed over in 1871 to the 'Franciscan Sisters of the Regular Third Order' who provided the corps of staff to run a school for girls. The villa now forms part of the Catholic School of St Mary's Abbey and is surrounded with later associated buildings.



Listing NGR: TQ2215893075

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 199042

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing