This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

List entry Number: 1065049

Location

CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, ST LEONARD'S ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Tower Hamlets

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 27-Sep-1973

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 206228

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



788/19/701 ST LEONARD'S ROAD 27-SEP-73 Former Church of St Michael and All Angels

GV II 1864-5 by J W Morris, restored 1901 and 1955, converted into flats c2000.

MATERIALS: Stock brick with a little red and black brick polychrome banding and also polychrome to the heads of the arches. Limestone dressings. Slate roofs.

PLAN: Nave, lower, short chancel, N and S aisles, N and S double transepts, SE tower.

EXTERIOR: This large polychrome brick church draws Early English architecture of the C13 for its details. The most prominent features are the W end, fronting directly on to St Leonard's Road, and the SE tower. The former has a triple-arched entrance with moulded arches and shafts in the reveals, all under polychrome heads. Above these are three straight-sided gables. The W end fenestration has two two-light openings with modern detailing above which is an oculus filled with plate tracery comprising trefoils and quatrefoils. At the corners are angle buttresses. The aisles have lean-to roofs and two-light windows in their W faces. The tower is unbuttressed and has three stages. The largest of these is the belfry stage which has tall, plain paired openings. Above is a short, slate-covered pyramid spire with a gable on each side over a clock face. The E end of the chancel has an E window of three graded lancets. There are paired windows in the lean-to aisles and there is a clerestory with three single light windows per bay. In the angle between the nave and S aisle there is a quarter-round stair turret. Conversion into flats has led to the roofs being interspersed with numerous square skylights.

INTERIOR: The interior has been divided up and filled with multiple flats.

PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: None

SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: Immediately S of the church is a large, former vicarage, built of stock brick with minor details of polychromy in a matching style to the church. To the S of this is a Portland limestone First World War memorial by A R Adams, 1920, depicting Christ blessing a medieval soldier. To the N of the church is a two-storey institute built of stock brick with its gable facing the church. Together these form a group.

HISTORY: The present building was erected in 1864-5 to replace a mission church of 1861. It was restored in 1901 and again in 1955. Now it has been converted into flats. Morris, the architect, is not a well-known name, but was clearly capable of ambitious and impressive designs, as here.

SOURCES: Bridget Cherry, Charles O'Brien and Nikolaus Pevsner, The Buildings of England: London 5: East, 2005, p 657. Basil F L Clarke, Parish Churches of London, 1966, p 166.

REASONS FOR DESIGNATION: The former church of St Michael and All Angels is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * It is a High Victorian brick former church (now converted into residential accommodation) in the C13 style with polychrome detailing and a prominent tower which forms a local landmark, in this much-altered area. * The external interest is high enough to offset the major changes to the interior, which is now deprived of special interest. * The church, vicarage, institute and war memorial form a coherent group.

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 38066 81583

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1065049 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-May-2018 at 12:43:02.

End of official listing