PARISH CHURCH OF ST DUNSTAN AND ALL SAINTS (THE CHURCH OF THE HIGH SEAS)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1065065
Date first listed:
29-Dec-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
03-Oct-1994
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST DUNSTAN AND ALL SAINTS (THE CHURCH OF THE HIGH SEAS), STEPNEY HIGH STREET, E1

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1065065.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Sep-2020 at 16:18:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST DUNSTAN AND ALL SAINTS (THE CHURCH OF THE HIGH SEAS), STEPNEY HIGH STREET, E1

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Tower Hamlets (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 35976 81586

Details

TQ 3581 STEPNEY HIGH STREET, E1 (east side) 16/588 Parish Church of St Dunstan and All Saints (The Church of the High Seas)

29/12/50 I

Parish church. Kentish ragstone, rubble and flint, with stone dressings and tiled roof An ancient foundation rebuilt C10; C13 chancel with seven-bay C15 nave and aisles, with battlemented parapets, two-light clerestorey windows and renewed three-light windows. C15 west tower, three stages with battlements, pinnacles and angle buttresses. Beacon tower on south side. North and south porches and hexagonal vestry room at north-cast corner added 1871-72 by Newman and Billing.

Interior: nave north and south aisles rebuilt cl500, when chancel arch-removed. Seven-bay arcades of two-centred arches on quatrefoil piers. C13 sedilia in chancel. Vestry room has open timber roof.

Alterations: extensively restored in 1849 by Benjamin Ferrey; in 1872 by Newman and Billing; by Cutts and Cutts in 1899 and again in 1901-2 following a fire, when the nave roof was rebuilt; in 1949 by C Wontner Smith, following war damage, when the flooring was renewed and the cast end reordered.

Fittings: Anglo-Saxon stone relief panel of the Crucifixion, early C11. Relief of the Annunciation, c1400, over north chancel door. Numerous funerary monuments, C16-C19, including recessed tomb chest to Sir Henry Colet, d.1510, in chancel; Dr John Berry, d1689, bust with in aedicule in north aisle; Benjamin Kenton, d.1800, by Westmacott showing relief of the Good Samaritan between Doric columns, in chancel. East window by Hugh Easton, 1949, depicting the Crucifixion above tableau of blitzed Stepney. Sailors' memorial window, also by Easton in north aisle. Organ by Father Willis, from St. Augustine's, Haggerston, installed in north-west aisle, 1971. Clock retains original working by Thwaites, 1804. Stone, reputedly from Carthage, set into south aisle wall with 1663 inscription.



Listing NGR: TQ3597681586

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
206262
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 16 Jul 2001
Reference: IOE01/04573/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Peter Fuller. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].