CHURCH OF ST JOHN ON BETHNAL GREEN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1065245
Date first listed:
18-Jul-1949
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN ON BETHNAL GREEN, CAMBRIDGE HEATH ROAD E2

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN ON BETHNAL GREEN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1065245 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Oct-2019 at 16:09:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN ON BETHNAL GREEN, CAMBRIDGE HEATH ROAD E2

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Tower Hamlets (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 35027 82758

Details

788/10/134 CAMBRIDGE HEATH ROAD E2 18-JUL-49 Bethnal Green Church of St John on Bethnal Green

GV I



Parish church. 1824-25 by Sir John Soane. Restored 1871 by William Mundy after destruction of roof and interior by fire. Chancel altered and extended by G.F. Bodley 1888. Stock brick and artificial stone with stucco dressings; slate and leaded roofs. PLAN: Nave and aisles with west tower and chancel with side chapels. EXTERIOR: 3-bay west front articulated by giant pilasters at corners and paired giant pilasters in centre, all with fluted vestigial capitals. Centre bay with pedimented doorcase, the pediment on scrolled consoles with patterae. Double 14-panelled and fielded doors. Shallow rectangular recess above pediment. Between the paired pilasters are shallow recesses containing double 5-panelled and fielded doors. Outer bays with 2-light plate tracery windows of 1871, with transoms. Panelled parapet over centre from which develops the square west tower. Tower with twin detached panelled pilasters at each corner, with fluting at top, and a continuous moulded cornice with acroteria over each pilaster. Within the recesses are one bell-opening with scalloped timber louvres below a clock face, repeated to each face. Circular drum with round-arched lancets to cardinal points. Moulded cornice below narrow dome with 4 reduced lucarnes. Spike finial carrying weathervane. North and south aisles of 8 bays, separated by giant pilasters, those defining the east and west bays with stucco and fluted tops, the others just with stuccoed fluted tops. 2-bay chancel, the upper storey with 2 round-arched windows. Shallpow pedimented single-storey side chapels with one similar window to north and south and each with an east doorway (moulded architrave and double 4-panelled and fielded doors). East end of chancel with a large stuccoed plaque, but no openings. INTERIOR: 3 bay western facade with central pedimented doorway and short central tower with cupola above. Tower and giant pilasters, stuccoed. Pilasters carried up to form piers linked to central tower. Facade to Roman Road has 7 windows. All windows round arched with simple flat stuccoed tracery.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
205819
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01512/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Clare Glenister. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].