CHURCH OF ST GEORGE (GERMAN LUTHERAN CHURCH AND VESTRY)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1065325
Date first listed:
29-Dec-1950
Date of most recent amendment:
21-Oct-1994
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE (GERMAN LUTHERAN CHURCH AND VESTRY), ALIE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GEORGE (GERMAN LUTHERAN CHURCH AND VESTRY)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1065325.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Dec-2019 at 00:33:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST GEORGE (GERMAN LUTHERAN CHURCH AND VESTRY), ALIE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Tower Hamlets (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 33986 81235

Details

ALIE STREET 1. (north-west side) 4431 TQ 3381 14/431 29.12.50 CHURCH OF ST GEORGE German Lutheran Church and vestry

(Formerly listed as ALIE STREET (south-east side) St George's Lutheran Church and Vestry House attached to Church) GV II*

German Lutheran Church. 1762-3, founded by Dederich Beckmann, a wealthy sugar boiler; panel of donors dated 1766 on front. Stock brick with slate roof Church a single cell of four bays with balcony on three sides supported on round timber columns, the stairs to which are either side of committee room. Two-storey, one bay vestry at side. Facade symmetrical with doors either side of Venetian window to ground floor and windows either side of Diocletian window above; pediment over. Interior retains complete and original set of pews to ground floor and balconies (a remarkable survival), with high double-decker central pulpit with sounding board set behind altar rails and under coat of arms of George III and two commandment boards (in German) - all original features. At rear boards commemorate donors to the church. Committee room with simple panelling set between balcony stairs with turned baluster open-string stairs, and with painted glass window. The side windows (three per side) with early C19 coloured margin-light glazing; stained glass to windows either side of pulpit. The whole interior a remarkable and complete survival of high-quality traditional craftsmanship. The two room vestry is also of great interest. It is of brown brick with red brick dressings and gauged brick heads. The interior is fully panelled, with cornices and fireplaces. A dog-leg stair leads to the upper room, which has two sliding windows which open by a system of grooves and catches rather than counterweights and sashes.

Listing NGR: TQ3398681235

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
205704
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/06825/15
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Colin Carron. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].