This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

352, KEW ROAD

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: 352, KEW ROAD

List entry Number: 1065414

Location

352, KEW ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Richmond upon Thames

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 28-Jul-2000

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 205524

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ1977 KEW ROAD 22/9/35 No.352 10-JAN-1950 (Formerly listed as: KEW ROAD No.350 PARK HOUSE)

(Formerly listed as: KEW ROAD NO.352 ADAM HOUSE)

(Formerly listed as: KEW ROAD No.354 BURNAGE)

Formerly listed as: KEW ROAD No.350-354)

GV II*

House, the centre of a symmetrical terrace of three. Formerly listed with Nos. 350 and 354. Formerly known as Heathfield House. Late (18 (after 1771) and early C19, altered later C19. Built by the Engleheart family. Brick, stucco rendered, stock brick at rear. Tiled mansard roof, slate lean-to extensions, tiled catslide. Three storeys and basement, three bay symmetrical facade. Doorcase, slender debased Ionic pilasters, frieze with figure brackets, central embellished panel, blind fanlight with plasterwork fan above Leda and the Swan. Door of six raised and fielded panels, L hinges. Formerly under a splayed roofed porch. Canted flat-roofed bay windows with horned sashes. Plain first floor storey band. Upper floors, near flush horned sashes, to left and right first floor with shallow aprons, rendered cills at second floor. Rendered parapet with cornice band. Rear. Extended to right under slate roof which forms near continuous roof at first floor across building. Ground floor extension beyond, also under slate roof, and with part replaced late C19 French windows with margin glazing. To left, former kitchens under tiled catslide roof and with three light casement, now linked to former single storey bakehouse. Central greenhouse, with small paned sashes with slender glazing bars, depicted in mid C19 painting The Pet by Walter Deverell. Former rear door, part-glazed small paned sashes with slender glazing bars, under overlight, above reeded lintel. First floor two-light casement to left, tall central landing window, small paned with slender moulded glazing bars, single and two light casements to right. Full height dormers one a single light, one a two-light horizontal sliding sash. Large stack set on rear roof, part rebuilt; gable end stacks. INTERIOR: Pine stair, painted balusters, closed string dog-leg, turned newels on square bases, rectangular stick balusters, moulded rail. Palm frond cornice, paired brackets to rear hall. Dining room (right), windows flanked by pilasters with anthemion relief capitals. Similar opposing alcove at rear. Trailing vine leaf dado rail. Alcove wall to left of chimneypiece horizontal boarded. Plasterwork ceiling, said to be by Francis Engleheart (possibly son of Thomas) inspired by Adam. Central painted circular panel, said to be c.1800, restored, mythical pastoral scene; radiating central panel, rectangular outer panels all in low relief. Drawing room (left), fluted window architrave, rear doorway, flanking pilasters with anthemion capitals, tall plain frieze except for rosettes with husked garlands over plain blind fanlight. Anthemion cornice. Both front rooms have vertically sliding shutters. Ground floor doors of six panels with moulded astragals. Rear ground floor carved mantlepiece and iron duck's nest grate, said to have been brought from upper floor. Kitchen cupboards, C19 reusing earlier fabric. Lobby, with former rear window, painted by current (2000) owner's father. Rear door of two panels with replaced strap hinges. Upper floors, doors of four or two panels, attic closet door with L hinges. Plain timber mantelpieces with moulded architrave, C19 grate in attic bedroom. Shutters to first floor front rooms. Built by the Engleheart family, the sons of Francis Engleheart included Thomas, (1745- 1786) the sculptor, and George, (1752 -1839), miniature painter to George III. The Englehearts owned the house until c1885. !850- 53 it was the home of Walter Deverell (1827- 54), Pre-Raphalite artist and the setting for' A Pet' (now at the rate). Home of Mrs Bonavia and the setting of her portrait by Henry Lamb R.A. 1916.

Listing NGR: TQ1904277303

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 19048 77308

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1065414 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-May-2018 at 09:09:13.

End of official listing