CHURCH OF ST LUKE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1065521
Date first listed:
07-Apr-1983
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LUKE, RAMSDEN ROAD SW12

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LUKE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1065521.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 16:40:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST LUKE, RAMSDEN ROAD SW12

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Wandsworth (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 28176 74205

Details

RAMSDEN ROAD SW12 1. 5033 Church of St Luke TQ 2874 13/8 II* 2. By F W Hunt 1883 in the manner of an Italian Romanesque basilica. The east wall of the nave is partly blocked by the apsidal chancel and the west wall similarly by the apsidal baptistery. The north-west entrance tower dominates the asymmetrical composition. The whole is of red brick with sparing stone dressings, tiled roofs and copper spire. On the baptistery 3 panels recessed between lesenes are pierced by triplets of lancets. Oversailing courses of alternate projecting headers decorate the upper margins of the panels and form an eaves cornice below the conical slate roof. The apse is similar but there are 5 panels and tripartite labels frame the lancets. The nave bays are articulated with panels pierced by single lancets, the chancel by a coupled lancet. The west end has a triplet of lancets, each in a triple- stepped arch and a smaller lancet in the gable the whole framed by lesenes and corbel tables. In the tower the door has a triple-stepped arch with foliated tympanum framing a Celtic cross. Lesenes and corbel table decorate the 2 lower stages, twin lancets and oversailing courses the third stage, tripartite arcades of coupled colonnettes the belfry. From within the richly machicolated parapet rises the square spire with gilt cross. The red brick interior has arcades with pointed arches springing from the stiffleaf capitals of the stone piers. The alabaster and marble pulpit (1890), chancel wall (1894) and lantern (1901) were by 4 White, the tester, sedilia,stalls and bishop's throne by Harry Hems, the apse mosaic and all glass by Powell. The metal electroliers (1903) are a striking feature. The south chapel was fitted by Martin Travers.

Listing NGR: TQ2817674205

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
207114
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00924/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David March. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].