This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

SPRINGFIELD HOSPITAL (MAIN BUILDING)

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: SPRINGFIELD HOSPITAL (MAIN BUILDING)

List entry Number: 1065553

Location

SPRINGFIELD HOSPITAL (MAIN BUILDING), BEECHCROFT ROAD SW17

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: Wandsworth

District Type: London Borough

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-Apr-1983

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 206991

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BEECHCROFT ROAD SW17 1. 5033 Springfield Hospital: (main building) TQ 2772 16/3 II GV 2. Edward Lapidge. Built 1840 as the Surrey County Lunatic Asylum, with later extensions, it is a grand symmetrical Tudor-style composition enclosing a large courtyard. It is in red brick with some blue brick diapering, stone dressings and slate roofs. It has a centre pavilion of 3-storeys and gables linked by 2-storey flanking ranges to 3-storey embattled blocks. The long 2-storey wings at right- angles have 3-storey embattled blocks at their centres and are stopped by 4-storey embattled end-pavilions. The centre pavilion is framed by advanced wings. A short flight of steps rises to the entrance block which is 3 windows wide with windows of varying design. The pointed-arch entrance is framed in a square head with label, the spandrels filled with quatrefoils. A stone band with ribbon motif separates ground and first floors. The second floor has the date 1840 in diaper. The gable carries a clock in a lozenge plaque and rises to a tall finial with weather vane. Each wing is 3 windows wide at the ground floor. The first and second floors are united behind a single window 6 lancets high and 4 broad. A single light pierces each gable. The 4-storey end-pavilions each have advanced angle-bays and an advanced centre with a plaque dated 1874.

Listing NGR: TQ2710872498

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 27108 72498

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1065553 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-May-2018 at 04:06:05.

End of official listing