WHITECHAPEL PUBLIC LIBRARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1065733
Date first listed:
10-Dec-1990
Statutory Address:
WHITECHAPEL PUBLIC LIBRARY, 77, WHITECHAPEL HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of WHITECHAPEL PUBLIC LIBRARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1065733 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Sep-2019 at 05:14:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
WHITECHAPEL PUBLIC LIBRARY, 77, WHITECHAPEL HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Tower Hamlets (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 34007 81455

Details

The following building shall be added:-

Whitechapel High Street TQ 3381 and 3481 No 77 14 and 15/6012 (Whitechapel Public Library)

II GV

Library. Opened 1892. Potts, Son and Hennings, architects, with funding from philanthropist Passmore Edwards and support from Canon Barnett. Red brick with terracotta quoining and dressings; slate Mansard roof. Free Jacobethan style. 3 storeys plus attic, and 3-window range. EXTERIOR: Ground floor has deep terra cotta plinth; keyed semi-circular arched doorway with winged cherubs to spandrels and flanked by fluted composite pilasters to central bay; 4-light chamfered mullioned and transomed windows, with octapanel leaded-lights to upper lights, the window to left has inserted entrance to Aldgate East Underground Station in lower part; Blue Plaque to Isaac Rosenberg (1890-1918), poet and painter. First floor left bay has Renaissance-style frieze under similar 4- light window and plain terra cotta frieze with THE PASSMORE EDWARDS LIBRARY in relief under swan-necked pediment; central bay slightly advanced curved balcony on brackets all under pedimented 2-light window with Renaissance-style cherub and ornament to tympanum; right bay has Renaissance-style frieze advancing to base of oriel with brackets and similar 3-light window. Second floor has pair of sashes to each bay and continuous terra cotta moulded cornice, below shaped gable with sash over left bay, central tower with keyed round window set in swan-necked pediment with domed roof, and festooned panel over right bay. INTERIOR: Lobby has pictorial tile panel of "Whitechapel Hay Market, 1788". 1891 commemmorative cartouche to hall. Large ground-floor room to rear, forming later extension, has coffered ceiling, pilasters and piers framing each bay with egg and dart mouldings to top. Pair of spiral cast-iron staircases to offices over reading room. Open-well staircase with decorative iron balustrade. Half-glazed door and partition with octagonal leaded glazing to front first-floor room with wooden staircases to upper floors; arch-braced queen-post roof and ceiling lights to rear first-floor room. HISTORY: One of the earliest public libraries in London, Whitechapel was the first district in East London to vote for the establishment of a public library by referendum, for which Canon Barnett led the campaign. It was one of fifteen libraries in London funded by philanthropist Passmore Edwards and this building marks the first time this pair collaborated on a building. Various internal reconfigurations in early-C20 such as conversion to open access in 1922. Bomb damage in 1940 to second floor. Aldgate East Underground station entrance inserted in 1937.

Listed as a fine example of a Passmore Edwards library with rich Renaissance-style terracotta ornament, also having strong historic interest and associations with the adjacent Grade II* Whitechapel Art Gallery (q.v.), both buildings sharing benefactors Canon Barnett and Passmore Edwards, as well as the purpose of providing cultural and education resources for great social need in the late-Victorian East End of London.



Listing NGR: TQ3400781455

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
206507
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Reference: IOE01/12099/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard Hodgson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].