46 AND 48, COPPERFIELD ROAD E3

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1065752
Date first listed:
11-Feb-1985
Statutory Address:
46 AND 48, COPPERFIELD ROAD E3

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1065752.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 09-Jul-2020 at 02:05:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
46 AND 48, COPPERFIELD ROAD E3

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Tower Hamlets (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 36384 81805

Details

1. 4431 TQ 3681 17/1 COPPERFIELD ROAD E3

II Nos 46 and 48

Former Free Ragged Day School, now warehouse. Built as warehouses in early 1870's, No 46 converted for use as school in 1876, No 48 in 1895. Some alterations. Yellow brick, painted to No 48. Roof not visible. Three storeys, No 46 of 6 bays, No 48 of 3.Entrances to second and fifth bays of No 46 and to centre of No 48 which break forward slightly. Paired windows to No 48 and to first and sixth bays of No 46, except top floor. Segmental treads. Sashes, mainly tripartite to No 46. Plateglass,Pilaster strips to ends and centre of No 46. Cornice and central pediment with attached belcote to No 46. Parapet to No 48. Wallcrane to centre bay of No 48 and one to each of second and fifth bay of No 46, at top floor level. School provided by Dr Barnardo. Understood to have been one of the largest ragged schools in London and the last to close, in 1908. Also operated as Factory Girls Club and Institute, 1877 to 1915.



Listing NGR: TQ3638481805

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
206464
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 31 Mar 2004
Reference: IOE01/12061/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr G.N.G. Tingey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].