This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

OLD SULEHAY LODGE AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDING AND BARN

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: OLD SULEHAY LODGE AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDING AND BARN

List entry Number: 1065983

Location

OLD SULEHAY LODGE AND ATTACHED OUTBUILDING AND BARN, OLD SULEHAY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: East Northamptonshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Nassington

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 23-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 12-Oct-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 422513

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NASSINGTON OLD SULEHAY ROAD TL09NE (West side) 6/187 Old Sulehay Lodge and attached 23/05/67 outbuilding and barn (Formerly listed as Old Sulehay Lodge and adjoining stables) - II Hunting Lodge and stables, now house and attached outbuilding and barn. Late C15 origins for Sir Guy Wolston, early C17, datestone 1642, enlarged 1851 by Browning and again after 1892. Regular coursed and squared coursed limestone with Collyweston slate roof. Original plan indeterminate, now irregular L-shape. Single storey with attic and 2 storeys. Main front, to north, has 3 gables breaking forward in steps, to left. 2 gables, to left, are late C19 additions with stone mullion windows and 2 storey canted bay window to far left. Other gable is early C17 with C19 porch at ground floor left and C17 round-head arch with jewelled keyblock, now blocked, to right. Three-light stone-mullion window, to first floor, with a similar single light window alongside. Single storey range, with attic, c.1642 is attached to right. This was originally stables and is now part domestic use and part outbuilding. 2 irregularly spaced 3-light stone mullion windows at ground floor. 2 storey gatehouse, attached to right, is also c.1642. Ogee moulded segmental carriage arch, now blocked, is set in rectangular frame. 2-light stone mullion window above. Ashlar gable parapets and ashlar stacks at ridge. C19 barn attached to right has central cart entrance, with C20 doors, and flanking pitch holes with C20 glazing. Rear elevation of former stable range has 3 bay arcade, to right, of segmental arches with continuous mouldings all within a rectangular frame. Arcade is now blocked with a C20 door and windows. Casement window to left and right and 2 Lincolnshire eaves dormers above, with C19 style casement windows. Gable to right is early C17 with a 2-light stone mullion window at first floor. 2-window range, to far right, is probably mid C19 with stone mullion windows. Gatehouse and barn, to far left, are similar to main front elevation with datestone 1642 in apex of gatehouse gable. Interior: gatehouse has semi-circular arched openings, in return walls, each with jewelled keyblock and square surround. Arch in west wall is now damaged and blocked. First floor of former stable range is noted as having remains of 2 C17 fireplaces and roof structure with 6 collar trusses and clasped purlins. Kitchen, to right, is early C17, originally probably unheated. High ceiling with stop-chamfered spine beam, remains of blocked stone mullion windows in east wall. Upper part of stair rising from this room is said to be original. First floor room above, said to have fireplace with 4-centred arch-head and roof structure with tie beam and 2 raking struts. Sulehay , was an extra-porochial area of Rockingham Forest and passed from the Yarwell family to Sir Guy Wolston who is said to have rebuilt the lodge. it remained as part of the Apethorpe estate and most of the surviving C17 range dates from 1642. The main house was demolished in 1718 and the stables became a dwelling. It was considerably improved and enlarged mid and late C19. (RCHM: An Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire: p129)

Listing NGR: TL0521098448

Selected Sources

Other
Inventory of Architectural Monuments in North Northamptonshire, (1984)

National Grid Reference: TL 05210 98448

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1065983 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2018 at 03:02:59.

End of official listing