Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1066236.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 06-May-2021 at 00:48:08.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Greater London Authority
City of Westminster (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 29961 80544


TQ 2980 NE and 3080 NW CITY OF WESTMINSTER TRAFALGAR SQUARE, WC2 71/106; 72/134 5.2.70 National Gallery G.V. I Picture Gallery. 1832-38 by William Wilkins, built to "command" the north side of new square and house the Angerstein Collection, purchased by the government at the instance of George IV, as well as, originally, to accommodate the Royal Academy. Portland stone, concealed glazed gallery roofs. Fine, scholarly, Graeco-Roman classicism that reads well in perspective but is weak as a frontal composition with too even a balance in the accents that attempt to vary this long elevation. 2 storeys on plinth. 32 windows wide with central octastyle pedimented portico with secondary tetrastyle portico entrances and terminal pavilions. The central Corinthian portico is effectively raised on podium wall with flanking steps. Set back behind portico pediment is a stone cupolaed dome on stone drum. The centrepiece of the main portico is flanked by 2 giant pilastered bays before breaking back to the main wall plane of the wings. Architraved sash windows with cornices on ground floor, blind on 1st floor. The secondary Corinthian tetrastyle porticoes have parapets raised over central bay. The terminal pavilions have pairs of flanking giant pilasters and are surmounted by small octagonal stone cupolas with pierced work openings. 1st floor sill band; main entablature with dentil cornice and crowning balustraded parapet. The columns from Holland's demolished Carlton House were intended for the portico but in the end only bases and reworked capitals from Carlton House were reused for the secondary porticoes in the wings. On east facade frontal is a seated statue of Minerva by Flaxman made as a Britannia for Marble Arch. Existing interiors principally by E. M. Barry, 1867-76, vestibule and central hall by Sir J. Taylor, 1885-87. The National Gallery site had already been proposed for this purpose in Nash's Metropolitan Improvements as of course the overall plan of the square. Survey of London. Vol XX. Georgian London;John Summerson.

Listing NGR: TQ2996180544


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Summerson, J, Georgian London, (1945)
'Survey of London' in Trafalgar Square and neighbourhood The Parish of St Martin-in-the-Fields Part 3: Volume 20 , , Vol. 20, (1979)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05427/32
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Stephen Hodgson. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].