PALACE THEATRE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1066339

Date first listed: 29-Jun-1960

Statutory Address: PALACE THEATRE, CAMBRIDGE CIRCUS W1

Map

Ordnance survey map of PALACE THEATRE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1066339 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 13:06:57.

Location

Statutory Address: PALACE THEATRE, CAMBRIDGE CIRCUS W1

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Greater London Authority

District: City of Westminster (London Borough)

National Grid Reference: TQ 29873 81012

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 2980 NE and 2981 SE CITY OF WESTMINSTER CAMBRIDGE CIRCUS, W1 58/81; 71/12 Palace Theatre

II*

20.9.60 -

Theatre. 1888-1891 built as the Royal English Opera House by T E Collcutt and G H Holloway for Richard D'Oyly Carte. Island site. Banded Ellistown red brick and Doulton's buff terracotta, slate and lead roofs, in Collcutt's Norther Renaissance manner. 4 main storeys. The slight concave front to the Circus divided into 3 main bays articulated by octagonal corbelled corner towers and similar inner turrets crowned by domes and with a broad banded gable over all. Central tripartite groups of arcaded doors under glazed cantilevered canopy returned to sides. Mullioned transomed arcaded-light windows cum loggias designed to be opened in summer, moulded terracotta aprons, friezes and cornices. Similar details to side elevations. Much of the rich terracotta ornament has however been removed. Fine 3 tier balcony auditorium, its amphitheatre remodelled by F Emblin-Walker in 1908 and with the original stage boxes removed; marble and onyx wall claddings now painted; grand marble staircase with alabaster balusters etc. Substantial relics of the machinery above and below stage of unique interest in London being a mixed wood and iron system designed by Dando for the D'Oyly Carte's elaborate opera productions. Opera having failed, it became the Palace Theatre of Varieties in 1892; on April 10th 1910 Pavlove made her first London appearance here; the Palace Theatre from 1911.

The Theatres of London; Mander and Mitchenson. Survey of London; Vol. XXXIII

Listing NGR: TQ2987381012

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 208945

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Mander, , Mitchenson, , The Theatres of London, (1975)
'Survey of London' in The Parish of St Anne Soho: Volumes 33 and 34 , , Vol. 33, (1966)

End of official listing