CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1067030
Date first listed:
02-Nov-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067030 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 11:07:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
Daventry (District Authority)
Parish:
Arthingworth
National Grid Reference:
SP 75473 81421

Details

ARTHINGWORTH SP78SE 4/5 Church of St. Andrew 02/11/54 - II*

Church. C12, C14 and C19. Squared coursed and ashlar limestone with slate roof. Aisled nave and chancel and west tower. Chancel is a C19 reconstruction with one 2-light window to south and 2 similar to north with reticulated tracery. 3-light east window has roundel with cusping. Chancel has C15 aisle to south of 2-window range, one blocked, the others of 3 lights with 4-centred head, similar east aisle under lean-to roof with ashlar moulded parapets. South aisle to nave is mainly C19 reconstruction of three 2-light windows with square heads. Lean-to roof. C19 gabled porch between windows 1 and 2 from left. North elevation of nave of 2-window range has one 3-light window with Perpendicular tracery to left and one C19 2-light window to right. 3 large 3-stage buttresses between each window. 4 C19 small quatrefoil windows at clerestory level. West tower of ashlar is of 4 stages with set back buttresses. West door has 3-light Perpendicular window above. Fourth stage has pair of 2-light bell chamber openings, with rounded heads both under one large ogee arch. The openings have transoms with cusping below. Frieze of cusped lozenges above. Castellated parapet with truncated square pinnacles at corners. Interior. Chancel has 2-bay arcade of double chamfered arches with octagonal pier and corbelled brackets. C19 chancel arch with foliated corbelled brackets. Double chamfered arch to south chancel aisle. 3-bay nave arcade of late C12 single chamfered pointed arches with one original circular pier to east with scolloped capital and square abacus. Other pier is probably C19 copy. Double chamfered tower arch has been blocked. C19 roof with large foliated stone corbels. C19 stained glass to east window. C19 circular font on marble column. C19 painted reredos behind altar. Monument in south chancel aisle to Mrs. Jekyll died 1775. White and grey marble oval medallion on obelisk, has angel with quill and garlands, signed by Van Gelder. Tablet to James Scott died 1753, to right, has broken pediment over. Plain tablet to Rokeby Scott died 1767 to left. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.89).

Listing NGR: SP7547381421

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
360258
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 89

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Jul 2007
Reference: IOE01/15310/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Anne French. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].