CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1067038

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1954

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1067038 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Nov-2018 at 20:06:55.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST CATHERINE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: Daventry (District Authority)

Parish: Draughton

National Grid Reference: SP 76192 76814

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DRAUGHT0N SP77NE 7/26 Church of St. Catherine 02/11/54

- II*

Church. Late C12, C13 and C19. Coursed lias rubble with limestone ashlar dressings with plain tile roof to chancel, porch and vestry and lead roof to nave and aisles. Aisled nave, chancel and west tower. Chancel remodelled c.1885. South elevation of 3-window range has two 2-light windows with reticulated tracery with single lancet between, probably reset. Fragments of masonry from earlier openings built into wall below windows. C19 three-light east window has reticulated tracery with roundel. North elevation similar with one 2-light window. Gabled roof with ashlar parapets and finial. South aisle of 2-window range with single lancet to left and 2-light square headed window to right. Similar 3-light east window. 2-light west window with plate tracery lean-to roof. C14 gabled porch to left has double chamfered arch. North aisle of 2-window range of one and 2-light square headed windows set in deep splays; lean-to roof. North vestry projection has 3-light C18 window with Gothic tracery; originally the east window this was reset in C19. Gabled roof with ashlar parapets and twin stone stacks at apex. West tower, late C12 of 3 stages with large 2-stage clasped buttresses at western corner. Single lancet to first and second stage. Simple 2-light bell chamber openings to 3 faces of third stage. Plain parapet. Third stage banded with ashlar and probably restored in C17. Interior: Chancel has C19 single arcade to vestry. C13 double chamfered chancel arch. 3-bay nave arcade of C13 double chamfered arches with octagonal piers, those to the south having nailhead decoration to the capitals. Late C12 pointed tower arch with nailhead decoration to capitals. Roofs C19. Stained glass, east window by C.E. Moore 1933, has baluster with serpent winding round the stem. Monument, to Maunselns Courtman 1704 to left of altar is tablet with scull and cross bones above. Plain tablet to Adams family 1778 to south of chancel. Hatchment and painted inscription with The Lords Prayer and Creed above tower arch. Similar painted panel relating to will of Mary Chapman 1826 in north aisle. Inscribed metal plate to Mary AdaAs 1775 in nave floor. Carved bench ends with foliated gothic tracery probably C16. Double pew with canopy to rear of nave. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.188).

Listing NGR: SP7619276814

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 360279

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 188

End of official listing